Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I let the smoke out......(Part two of three)

I let the smoke out......(Part two of three)

My Radio room / Workshop is in the small unused bedroom that I have. My operating position was at a pre-fab desk that you get at Wally Mart and, a six foot long table that doubled as a workbench at times; It was ugly and old.

I was offered and acquired (see part one) a new desk unit and, I decided to replace the old furnishing in the radio room with this new desk. The removal of the old table and desk required that I do a clean up of the room and a strategy of disconnecting the radio equipment, audio interfaces, Serial to USB CAT cables, computer and, monitors had to be developed. Plus, there were at least 40 pieces of stuff that needed to be put back in it's proper place.

Importantly, I unhooked all the radio equipment from it's chassis ground, leaving the connecting coax attached to one side of the device and moved everything out of the room. I did not unhook the antenna tuner from the antenna outside, I chose to sit the tuner on the window sill where the feed-line goes out the window.

I put in the new desk and repopulated the room with the radio equipment in the same configuration as before with the same coax connections and individual grounds tied to a common point.

When I went to the preset spots for the different frequencies, the SWR was way off on every frequency, I could not tune the antenna to any band; in what was the setting for the 10 meter band, the 20 meter band tuned there and, I could not tune any higher frequency than that. Even there, the SWR was 1.7 to 1 UNTIL I put my hand on the Dentron tuner and the SWR dropped down to 1.2 to 1 ; I move my hand, it went back up. This only happened when i touched the tuner, not the radio, coax or meter, only the tuner.

I put one test clip lead on the tuner chassis and when I touched it, the SWR also went down during transmit; I clipped two alligator leads together to extend the wire to my operating position but, when I keyed the transmitter, I received a nasty RF burn from the ground of my tuner!

I let the smoke out, my station will not transmit properly and bites me when I touch it.

Last edited by koØm; 12-17-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Looks like a grounding problem and rf in the shack.
    Check antenna connections, grounding ( you do use the right antenna? check all connections if they make proper contact.
    It is easy with lots of gear daisy chained to forget a grounding cable to connect to a central grounding point...
    Hot tuners/gear point to RF feedback into the shack.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Sounds like maybe Tina needs to move in to your place? :stickpoke:
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Sounds like maybe Tina needs to move in to your place? :stickpoke:
    The Idea of bad "Ju-Ju" has entered my mind....

20141215_192032.jpg

Her religion shouldn't be important.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    The Idea of bad "Ju-Ju" has entered my mind....

20141215_192032.jpg

Is that the new setup, or the old one?
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    That poor Heathkit sure looks lonely, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    That poor Heathkit sure looks lonely, doesn't it?
    If that's an SB-200, it's gonna get even lonelier when it comes time for new tubes—no one makes the 572B tube anymore. I almost bought one last year but ended up passing on the deal when I discovered that.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    That's the new setup after assembly but before I put the rest of the gear back inline.

RF parts has a new batch of 572B's again.
    But thn I opted for the Heathkit SB-1000 and put a new 3-500ZG from RFparts in it.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution