Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I let the smoke out......(Part two of three)

Getting back to the problem(s) at hand....

I would strip down to a very basic setup and start simple. Start with the 706, power supply, tuner and antenna. Forget any grounding stuff. In fact, I'd leave it out at the start and see what you get. I've seen more people get in trouble by over-engineering things.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    RF parts has a new batch of 572B's again.
    But thn I opted for the Heathkit SB-1000 and put a new 3-500ZG from RFparts in it.
    Not according to their web site, unless they haven't updated it yet.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-18-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

RF Parts Co. is not accepting orders for 572B tubes at this time.There will be a major announcement regarding availability of the new RF Parts 572B no later than December 19, 2014.

Yup....sorry

"If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    If that's an SB-200, it's gonna get even lonelier when it comes time for new tubes—no one makes the 572B tube anymore. I almost bought one last year but ended up passing on the deal when I discovered that.
    Really? Oh, nutz. That was a good, solid amplifier tube for decades.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Really? Oh, nutz. That was a good, solid amplifier tube for decades.
    Referring to the "What Would You Do With Five Trillion Dollars?" thread: I'd buy all the tooling and equipment from the now-shuttered Svetlana tube factory in Russia, move it all to the US and start manufacturing again.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Referring to the "What Would You Do With One Trillion Dollars?" thread: I'd buy all the tooling and equipment from the now-shuttered Svetlana tube factory in Russia, move it all to the US and start manufacturing again.

Hmmm...........I wondered who you could get to suck all the air out of the glass envelope?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Hmmm...........I wondered who you could get to suck all the air out of the glass envelope?
    Burt comes to mind...
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Burt comes to mind...
    No, I think he'd be better suited for inflating the tube envelopes in the glass blowing department.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Getting back to the problem(s) at hand....

I would strip down to a very basic setup and start simple. Start with the 706, power supply, tuner and antenna. Forget any grounding stuff. In fact, I'd leave it out at the start and see what you get. I've seen more people get in trouble by over-engineering things.
    Yes, that is a problem, I don't know how to "not over-engineer" my work.

First thing I did was to go to the common grounding point (metal window frame) of the equipment clean it up and make sure it was tight and then made sure that the 'radial' lead from there (three stories down to ground rod) was intact. Next, I took a 50 ohm cantenna and I checked the SWR at the radio at each connection along the line to the tuner and finally, I looked at each power cord, if it had only 2 wires and I was able to reverse it in the AC plug, I did and then checked; I found that the plug on the SB 200 has been modified, the ground pin removed. I moved that plug to another surge protector and, I am not getting bitten anymore.

I've known for a while that at certain frequencies, the coax and feed to the tuner are part of the "Antenna", what I mean is, there are two SWR meters inline, one in the radio and one at the input of the antenna tuner. When they both agree, then I know that coax from the radio and the accessories in between the tuner are not affecting the signal to the antenna.

Then, there are times when I tune the antenna for the lowest reflected watts back and, the meters disagree; I go with the meter in the radio because the one at the tuner is showing what it sees at that point in the line where it is a bump in the transmit road.

Anyway, what used to be the setting for the old installations are close to where they were but, because the coax position has changed, the setting on the tuner have also changed for each band. It's back transmitting but, under a watchful eye for a while.

PS: BTW, I wouldn't get involved with the Ex-Wife, Ex-Girl-friend or, his Ex-Mistress if I knew he had one; and that includes his niece. I have seen a couple of spiteful women use some stupid men (and women) to get back at their significant other. I kinda believe that my radio woes were caused by "bad vibes" surrounding purge of the household items; maybe I should call in an Exorcist just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    RF Parts Co. is not accepting orders for 572B tubes at this time. There will be a major announcement regarding availability of the new RF Parts 572B no later than December 19, 2014.

Yup....sorry

Looks like RF Parts now has some 511A tubes in stock, but only if you have already placed an order. Full info here.