Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curses, Foiled Again

Curses, Foiled Again

Well, another December, another Piratefest, and another attempt by Little Miss Field Day to win the "Oh Say Can You Sing" competition.

I thought that this was the best rendition she's done yet. OK, so my opinion is biased, sue me.

Long & short of it... she was winning, with 26 points (the three judges were pretty stingy this time around, and didn't seem to want to be there), until the next to last singer. Now, this girl was good, very good. Was she better? I didn't think so, but they gave her 3 10's -- 30 points, and she won. Afterwards, the one player who gave Jess an 8 came up to her afterwards, apologized and said he should have given her a 10 also. Oh well.

However, all the finalists got something (never been done before), 2 tickets to a 2015 game. So it wasn't a total loss. They were also all told that if there was an opening for someone to sing the national anthem at a 2015 game, they might get a call. Not holding our breath on that one, but it was nice to hear anyway.

Here's the link to the video... judge for yourself. http://youtu.be/SHSjYEchJIQ
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Very, very nice. You could tell she was a bit nervous, but beautiful rendition.

Thanks Kel.

She really thought she was going to win it this year... until the next to last singer. I caught the two girls chatting right before everything started, can you tell why the other girl (who was an excellent singer, by the way, no question) won?
    8536.jpg
    To put things in context...

Everyone else was dressed like Jess was. Pirate shirts of all sorts and jeans. This girl? We found out that she was going to a formal Christmas dance this evening, so she was dressed for it (and she did look stunning... especially when you consider that she was 13. Yes, 13. ). So she stood out.

The three players who were judging weren't scheduled to be doing it. I don't know who was, but we found out a little while afterwards that John Candelaria (the alumni), for one, was originally scheduled to pose for pictures with the fans at one of the booths. What we suspect happened was... well, we also learned that 2 of the Pirates players got married today (obviously, not at Piratefest!! ). So, we think the people originally scheduled were no-shows because they were at one or the other of the weddings.

The players were clearly uninterested. Until this little girl stood up. (And to be fair, her age wasn't announced until after she was declared the winner). To be honest, I think she "won" before she sang a note... unless she'd stumbled badly, which she didn't. Now, she had a fantastic voice, she did botch the lyrics a little. I don't think they noticed. (Yes, I think the three judges were drooling more than a little bit... until she said she was 13, then they all looked a little embarrassed, as they should have been. Lechers.)

Jess is a little disappointed that she lost, again. But she has no problem with the winner. We can just hope that she does get a call, sometime during the season.
    Last edited by W3WN; 12-13-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

She did very good, shame they didn't pick her. I think I'd watch the called ID next year for that call.

Congrats to your daughter for her NOT making the song "HER OWN" like 99.9% of the singers do.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Orca Whisperer
    She did well :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I admire anyone who can perform in front of others. I can't imagine singing in front of a stadium full of people. She did very well, and it is clear from what you have posted in the past, that she really enjoys performing. I hope she does get a shot at singing for the fans.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Banned
    Wow, Ron. Yeah I can definitely see that. That's just BS, and if she fumbled the lyrics no way should she have won. Period. Your daughter did wonderfully and she should keep plugging away at it. Incidentally, my daughter with the thick curly hair very much like yours also sings and she was very disappointed not to get into the musical in high school this year. The teacher doing the auditions later told her he wanted very badly to include her but she doesn't dance well and every part involves dancing.

Well, what can ya do? That's Show Business!

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Well, what can ya do? That's Show Business!
    And there's no business like show business, like no business I know.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.