Thread: Mobile HF antenna?

Mobile HF antenna?

I am looking at putting HF in the RV. What would be the best type of antenna for this application. I was looking at some screwdriver antennas but not sure which of them are decent. I have used Hamsticks in the past and still have those but I would prefer 1 antenna instead of several just for HF.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Well, High Sierra doesn't make them any more, so forget them. :(

I'd try the Tarheel or Scorpion antennas.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Take a look at Hi-Q Antennas.

The web site sucks and you don't want to get into a political discussion with the owner but the antennas are very good—good enough that he sells them to the military.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I have a Tarheel 400A that I got used, needed some work but it's noticeably better on lower frequencies than some of the shorties.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I will look into some of these sugestions. I don't need a shorty as it will be mounted to the rear bumper of the RV. The fiberglass body should not interfere too much. Are the screwdrivers for 160 meters any good?

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Forum Addict
    With a three-foot cap hat, probably usable :D

The old Texas Bugcatchers used to offer a 160 coil, IIRC - it was at least 6" (I know, I know, that's what she said) with turns that made it difficult to load on the higher bands.

I seem to remember W8JI doing NEC modeling on Top Band mobile antennas, but that was years ago.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry