Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora + Yum Problems

I never use the gui update notifier, I always run updates in terminal. I just don't trust the gui stuff on updates been burned before by it.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Conch Master
    I kicked out some bucks on ebay for a 32Gb Multiboot Thumb drive with Linux operating systems. Our Computers for Kids program gets a lot of junk computers that I could assemble into licenseless machines. Microsoft MAR licenses are not supposed to be put on machines that didn't already have licenses. Linux looks like a good way to go if I can figure out how to set it up for kids. My thumb drive has Bohdi, Fedora, DSL,Kubuntu,Mint 17, Lubuntu 14.04, Tails, Ubuntu 14.04, UbuntuStudio and Ubuntu Gnome. I'm working with Ubuntu Studio right now on a 32 bit AMD machine. It seems to work well, except for getting all the video to work (Adobe Flash issues). I'm still learning, but I kind of like working in the terminal, vs Ubuntu Software Center. So far it has been fun to explore Linux.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 12-05-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    I never use the gui update notifier, I always run updates in terminal. I just don't trust the gui stuff on updates been burned before by it.
    I've had very good luck with the GUI update notifier. Until yesterday. But I don't know if it was the updater that failed or perhaps something I did that was unrelated to the updater. The system just shut down unexpectedly. I guess if I get a chance I could check the system logs and maybe that might reveal what caused the failure. Meanwhile I seemed to have managed to fix it. I was notified of some updates and the updater did its job with no issues. BTW on earlier versions I always did my updates in a terminal. Earlier versions of the GUI were not as stable and seemed very slow. These days the GUi seems to be very reliable.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    I kicked out some bucks on ebay for a 32Gb Multiboot Thumb drive with Linux operating systems. Our Computers for Kids program gets a lot of junk computers that I could assemble into licenseless machines. Microsoft MAR licenses are not supposed to be put on machines that didn't already have licenses. Linux looks like a good way to go if I can figure out how to set it up for kids. My thumb drive has Bohdi, Fedora, DSL,Kubuntu,Mint 17, Lubuntu 14.04, Tails, Ubuntu 14.04, UbuntuStudio and Ubuntu Gnome. I'm working with Ubuntu Studio right now on a 32 bit AMD machine. It seems to work well, except for getting all the video to work (Adobe Flash issues). I'm still learning, but I kind of like working in the terminal, vs Ubuntu Software Center. So far it has been fun to explore Linux.
    Glad you're having fun. Video should work (on Fedora at least) as long as you have the right driver modules installed and the proper video players, codecs, etc. Try installing VLC and see how that works. Hopefully your thumbdrive systems are set up to "remember" what was installed on them between boots.

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    IZE....

have you installed or tried yum extender yet ???

basically a GUI "auto yum updater"......you can select to update packages or individual files....

I believe I found it thru the software updater....works great running Fedora 20 amd_64 & the
    new 3.17.4-200 kernel....

FWIW & YMMV
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    IZE....

have you installed or tried yum extender yet ???

basically a GUI "auto yum updater"......you can select to update packages or individual files....

I believe I found it thru the software updater....works great running Fedora 20 amd_64 & the
    new 3.17.4-200 kernel....

FWIW & YMMV
    No but I'll definitely check it out. I am always interested in trying different applications so I'll give it a go.

IZE....

have you updated to Fedora 21 yet ???

if so, did it work ???

there seems to be major bugs with the new 3.17.6-300 kernel & nvidia video cards using the nvidia 304.123 drivers.....

I had to fallback to Nouveau with .nomodeset=1 to even get to the desktop.....still getting random screen freezes....
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

IZE....

if so, did it work ???

there seems to be major bugs with the new 3.17.6-300 kernel & nvidia video cards using the nvidia 304.123 drivers.....

I had to fallback to Nouveau with .nomodeset=1 to even get to the desktop.....still getting random screen freezes....
    yep major issue. I did the upgrade and could no longer launch chrome (or FF but thats been a long standing issue) without the machine locking up and scrambling the screen.. tried the latest lubuntu as well which has the 3.17 kern same problem. fell back to debian 7 lxde 3.2 kern everything works so yeah big issue with 3.17
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

IZE....

if so, did it work ???

No, not yet. I am going to do the upgrade soon but on my "test machine" first and see how it goes. My guess is that any problems will be fixed in the upgrade/bugfixes. Fedora is like that. But then it's a "proving ground" and we are the "test pilots".

I took the plunge & wiped Fedora 21

re-installed Fedora 20....back to "normal" again.....even with nvidia drivers & 3.17.4 kernel....

the major screwup happened with the release of the 3.17.6 kernel....someone screwed the pooch there...
    Arch Linux OS