Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ODD JOBS YOU'VE HAD

Service manager of a home appliance shop.

Small engine/motorcycle mechanic at an area motor sales concern.

Packager at a local chemical compounder. Carper cleaner, windshield washer fluid and sidewalk de-icer were just a few of their many products.

When I finally did get a foot in the doors of businesses where my skills in the electronics tech/electrical engineering and IT fields could be fully utilized, the rest became history.

As soon as I finish equipping an electronics R&D lab, acquiring all Park Tools bicycle-related service equipment offerings, finding a frame jig and sourcing a capable TIG welder I could give a side business or two a go. But probably not until retirement - there's no way either of those will pay anywhere near what my current line of work does. For now I'll tinker with these things because I like doing them, and I enjoy helping others with their projects.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by W7XF View Post
    I can't talk about my teenage years odd jobs.....
    Yes you can, I am sure the statute of limitations, sans murder has run out. Tell us more, come on, R YA CHICKEN????? (nope you're a bear)

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

You can probably guess, Tim.... 40 miles from SF, Mom and I barely making it, and I was chicken at that age...least to say...a profitable business.
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Mosquito counts, for the good of Minnesota.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by W7XF View Post
    You can probably guess, Tim.... 40 miles from SF, Mom and I barely making it, and I was chicken at that age...least to say...a profitable business.
    I have never sent out for chicken, but I have delivered it a few times back in the day ;)

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Door to door used dildo salesman was a pretty neat job.

My oddest JOB was my first job! I was a SHOE Salesman in a little shoe store in my hometown of LISLE, IL. But I quickly got fired cuz I was too anxious to help the ladies try on shoes when they were wearing dresses!!

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    spent 3 months between real jobs as a gravedigger......mostly mowing grass using Toro gang-reel mowers like you see
    on golf courses....also learned to use backhoe digging graves....

worst part was cremating bodies....they came in cardboard coffins to be incinerated...will never forget the smell of a DB
    for as long as I live....once we put them in the furnace, after 5 minutes we had to look in the viewing port to be certain
    they were burning correctly.....as the body burns, the cartilage contracts & the body does a little "death dance".....

fucking freaky !!!!!
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Weekend job at a small electrical shop included repairing small appliances. The oddest one was a device from the local vet for electrocuting cats and dogs. How on earth do you test that one?

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH View Post
    Weekend job at a small electrical shop included repairing small appliances. The oddest one was a device from the local vet for electrocuting cats and dogs. How on earth do you test that one?
    Your avatar might provide something of a clue ...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."