Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ODD JOBS YOU'VE HAD

Master Navigator
    During my university days, I wrote computer programs to analyze feline breathing and brain activity, for a medical school professor doing sleep apnea and SIDS research. One night, a few years after I had graduated and moved away, a group of animal protection activists broke into the lab, completely trashed the equipment, spray-painted graffiti and stole all of his cats.

Professor Schrödinger's cats were never there to begin with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by wb5ydk View Post
    During my university days, I wrote computer programs to analyze feline breathing and brain activity, for a medical school professor doing sleep apnea and SIDS research. One night, a few years after I had graduated and moved away, a group of animal protection activists broke into the lab, completely trashed the equipment, spray-painted graffiti and stole all of his cats.
    A\Sounds like the work of either the PETA nuts or the ALF nuts, the latter is even worst than PETA as the ALF condones (and allegedly promotes) vandalism, arson, and violence.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Banned
    I had a paper route for a couple of years, mowed lawns, worked as a dishawasher for a short time. One of the best gigs ever was after my parents moved to another town when I was 17, and I quickly became the repair person for the local fire company's radios. Retuned lots of Plectrons and rescued water damaged handhelds. I charged $25 for a Plectron and $50 for a handheld, plus parts. Best money i ever made :p

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by wa6mhz View Post
    My oddest JOB was my first job! I was a SHOE Salesman in a little shoe store in my hometown of LISLE, IL. But I quickly got fired cuz I was too anxious to help the ladies try on shoes when they were wearing dresses!!
    And, you wonder why nobody ever answers your calls on air...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

"I was a SHOE Salesman in a little shoe store in my hometown..."
    Yeah, we saw you on TV.

"A\Sounds like the work of either the PETA nuts or the ALF nuts, the latter is even worst than PETA as the ALF condones (and allegedly promotes) vandalism, arson, and violence."
    ALF is worse but not for those reasons, he EATS cats and coordinates activities with other ALF radio pirates.

"Best money i ever made :p"
    Best money the FD ever saved, but the techs at the radio shops lack that je ne sais quoi... Kelli charm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

There's been a few doozies... many of these were part time.

"Hullabaloo Chef" serving gourmet sausages to plastered "uptown" worker bees. Part time, outrageous tips.

Sound and lights for the same kind of local bands that practiced on your street.

Various agricultural/entomology field tests, statistics (counts) for SCIENCE!

I drove taxi cab for a lot of years, first full time, then part time.

Al Bundy impersonator, selling women's shoes. On commission.

Ski instructor, which some would find weird. I still miss it.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

My Jr. and Sr. year in high school, during the summer I worked in a clay mine. It was damp, dirty, but cool in there on hot days. Back when the min. wage was less then $2 an hour I made $5.00 so not bad. The clay was made into fire brick that the steel mills and power plants used to line smoke stacks with. Drove by there this past summer, the plant and mine are still there but been closed for some time now, mine entrance is sealed up and plant is boarded up.
    [SIGPIC] 73

Other "odd jobs" I have had, well not really odd but things most people never come into contact with. I worked in a lab in which I had to handle mercury, cadmium, cyanide compounds, xrays and radioactive materials... Not an odd job per se but a combination of materials most people find terrifying and try to avoid.

Also worked in an R & D lab that made lithographic plate coatings. Had to work with highly flammable and highly volatile compounds such as acetone, methyl-ethyl ketones, cellulose nitrate, photosensitive chemicals and other nice stuff that can make you stoned if you breath it in or can blow up in your face if an ignition source is nearby. One day I was mixing up a coating. Had a nice blender full of MEK, Acetone, and cellulose dinitrate. My brilliant supervisor walks in carrying a lighted cigarette. He gets within 10 feet from me, realizes what I am doing and does a 180 degree turn and runs out into the hallway. Had the worst happened I would have been turned into ashes that afternoon. Along with the entire lab.

Scariest job was working as a graduate teaching assistant. I never stood in front of a classroom before trying to explain stuff and it was scary as hell for the first few times.
    Last edited by n2ize; 12-04-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.