Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: One Is The Loneliest Number... Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    NC isn't much of a stretch from here. I could probably work NC on 40m SSB with my IC-703 at a "staggering" 10 watts.
    I have one of those as well as the Yaesu 817ND. QRP is a hoot. The 817 is smaller for travel, but the tuner in the 703 is sure handy.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I have one of those as well as the Yaesu 817ND. QRP is a hoot. The 817 is smaller for travel, but the tuner in the 703 is sure handy.
    Never liked the display on the 817. I much prefer to have the larger display and tuner, in exchange for losing VHF/UHF.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

I got hooked on QRP after using the Ten Tec 505 I bought from Ron—there's a bigger thrill in working New Zealand on five watts SSB phone than you'd ever get working the same station with a full power rig. I'd love to have an IC-703 but the prices people get those things has become absurd. A used one sells for more now than it would have when it was new.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    Never liked the display on the 817. I much prefer to have the larger display and tuner, in exchange for losing VHF/UHF.
    But, I thought you were a VHF aficionado
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    But, I thought you were a VHF aficionado
    That's what the IC-910H is for.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I got hooked on QRP after using the Ten Tec 505 I bought from Ron—there's a bigger thrill in working New Zealand on five watts SSB phone than you'd ever get working the same station with a full power rig. I'd love to have an IC-703 but the prices people get those things has become absurd. A used one sells for more now than it would have when it was new.
    Not to mention the ridiculously decent receiver on that rig.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Well, the reason I wanted both of them, is that I used to travel pretty much every week. The 817 is very compact, lightweight, and has the built in battery pack. The tuner wasn't an issues since I used it with a Buddipole which is somewhat tunable. A perfect rig when space is at a premium. The 703 has it's place as well. When we go camping, or somewhere that I want to take a rig for portable use, and the extra room and weight of the rig and the battery isn't an issue, I'll usually take the 703 with a 7AH gel battery. They each fill a different and specific little niche, and I'm just glad I was able to get both of them when I did.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Forum Addict
    That's what the IC-910H is for.
    Part of me wants to get a FT-847 again for hilltop VHFing.

But yikes, that's a lot of money for a radio that old. The 910 is similar (in age and in price).
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry