Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ham Radio Random Thoughts

What? What am I missing?!?

Maybe the A of 38 has something to do with it
    Last edited by WZ7U; 06-16-2023 at 07:45 PM.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Been seeing this thing on FT8: VOTA. I assumed at first it must mean Virgins On The Air, thinking it made sense since no woman in her right mind would want to sleep with an amateur radio op but I found out that it actually means Volunteers On The Air.

I kind of like my first interpretation better.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Not quite ham radio related but radio nonetheless (and maritime to boot):

Spending a lot of time monitoring the GMDSS frequencies with YaDD 1.7.1 One iteration is running in a Win7 VM and is hooked to an IC-R71A, on which fully automated scanning is supported. The other is running in a Mint 20.3 VM under WINE. That system is hooked to an IC-703+ and given the nature of the rig's relay-switched BPF, you can only scan 8414.5 and 12577.0 without the relays clacking. So I run it in manual mode.

The program also has a problem with hanging RTS when exiting under WINE, and the Digimode4 that's connected to the -703 will lock the rig in TX as a result. Not an optimal situation. So shutdown must be rig first, then wineserver -k in a terminal...and unplug the Digimode4 from the USB port before powering the rig back on.

Maybe I'll fix this at some point. The YaDD author is now SK else I'll collaborate with him for a fix.
    Last edited by N8YX; 09-18-2023 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by NQ6U View Post
    Been seeing this thing on FT8: VOTA. I assumed at first it must mean Virgins On The Air, thinking it made sense since no woman in her right mind would want to sleep with an amateur radio op but I found out that it actually means Volunteers On The Air.

I kind of like my first interpretation better.
    You have a warped, demented, twisted, evil mind.

I LIKE that in a person!!! 😁
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati