Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ham Radio Random Thoughts

Conch Master
    I went through all the trouble to put a mobile HF rig in my truck, but now that I'm retired I don't drive my truck enough to make use of the radio!
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

I had to check your callsign twice, I thought it was VK2TV.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I might entertain the idea of an Elecraft or Ten Tec rig, but I really like the way Flex Radio has treated me. Right up there with Ten Tec service. They're fun to do business with, and genuinely give a crap.

And there are older Ten Tecs to rescue. Maybe.
    The Orion II was put to sleep too early - a version of that with an OLED display would have been fun to see.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    I went through all the trouble to put a mobile HF rig in my truck, but now that I'm retired I don't drive my truck enough to make use of the radio!

Get a job. :stirpot:
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

10m has been hot lately. Check out PSK Reporter.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Get a job. :stirpot:
    I just noticed your column signature Eddie ........ "La Rata Del Desierto" as close to the Rat Patrol as one can possibly get!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Amateur Radio can be hard work........if you take it seriously; this is about logging and QSL cards.

I wasn't into all that, unable to exercise my talents after moving into an apartment, I was an amateur in interest only, I didn't get on the air; I put other people on the air but, I wasn't into "Radio". Before that, back in the CB Daze when postage was cheap, I QSL'ed 100%.

Recently, I took a liking to radio again and, I was out there a lot so, I opened up a LOTW and Eqsl account but, I was kinda lackadaisical about uploading the info, I did it sporadically to one then the other but neither logging system was complete because I wiped out the files before I uploaded them to both places. I took a real look at just how many contacts were sitting there waiting for confirmation, but, I could not submit the files because they were gone. And, I didn't have any "Q-Cards".

I hopped onto Photoshop and threw together a card.

The JT65 / JT9 program kept a text log of all the contacts, I printed them out, four pages worth of contacts......here's where the hard work came in. I made a commitment not to operate the radio until I had entered all of those contacts into .aift format for uploading to LOTW. It took a minimum of 4 hours between yesterday and this morning (and that doesn't include interruptions) to input the data into the forms and upload the logs. Then, I had to fight with my MacBook because Apple decided to make the /Library folder a hidden item; I could not find the WSJT-1 folder to retrieve the log files from there.

One cannot brag about the contacts if they are not in the book.

If you like logging programs and dont mind a bit of complexity, i use dxkeeper and that uploads to lotw and eqsl. The eqsl is automatically uploaded and the lotw, all u need to do is enter your password and it does the rest. No manual tinkering or logging into different log sites. It also uploads to clublog.org as well. I think the only program u need besides wsjt-x is jt-alert. Thats the program that automatically interfaces dxk and wsjt. Once u get it set up properly, you dont have to log anything manually at all. The dxkeeper automatically fills in all the fields including name address etc if its connected to the internet. Its an impressive bit of workmanship.

Its a bit complicarted but theres a yahoo group the developer actively keeps up on. As a point of interest, he is also a dev for lotw so the 2 programs are almost made for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by AF5TY View Post
    If you like logging programs and dont mind a bit of complexity, i use dxkeeper and that uploads to lotw and eqsl. The eqsl is automatically uploaded and the lotw, all u need to do is enter your password and it does the rest. No manual tinkering or logging into different log sites. It also uploads to clublog.org as well. I think the only program u need besides wsjt-x is jt-alert. Thats the program that automatically interfaces dxk and wsjt. Once u get it set up properly, you dont have to log anything manually at all. The dxkeeper automatically fills in all the fields including name address etc if its connected to the internet. Its an impressive bit of workmanship.

Its a bit complicarted but theres a yahoo group the developer actively keeps up on. As a point of interest, he is also a dev for lotw so the 2 programs are almost made for each other.
    As they used to say an 'America Online', "You've got mail!"

Yeah, that manual thing was just a test of integrity and courtesy to those who logged and QSL'ed me. I looking into some programs but until then, I will upload daily or so if possible.

10m was wide open to Europe from the west coast this morning. Not only did I work four new countries (Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands and England), I was actually on the receiving end of a small pile-up—something us Six-Landers are not accustomed to.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.