Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron, Dave, Charles and other Ten-Tec fans...

Ron, Dave, Charles and other Ten-Tec fans...

Aesthetics question for y'all:

I have an Omni V, a couple of Paragon IIs and an Omni VI/Opt3. The astute readers among you will immediately spot the differences in the various displays used in the rigs.

Though it's not shown, the top 4 digits of the bandwidth/clock readout are yellow:

UM40disp.jpg

Let's say an enterprising individual was able to source another display board to play around with and said individual managed to locate a source of the 0.56" frequency readout LEDs in blue. Rohm, Forge Europa and Light-Bo all make a suitable 0.3" blue single-digit readout which could be used in the clock/bandwidth section but no one has them in stock at present.

Thus, the question: Convert that portion of the display to all green or to all yellow? I have enough donor LED displays to do either.

The VFO and Op Mode LEDs can also be changed to blue, yellow or both (parts inbound). Which color schemes would be most pleasing?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    When I got my little Argonaut V, I liked the green display! I guess the eye is most sensitive to green, so maybe that is what old eyes see the sharpest?
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Personally I like the blue read out on the FT 2000 - D the best.... but them I'm a certified nutcase ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Personally I like the blue read out on the FT 2000 - D the best.... but them I'm a certified nutcase ;)
    That and the other blue display rigs are what prompted me to look for parts to make this happen.

Here's an Omni V. The display is easy on the eyes:

omni_v.jpg
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

LED readouts. How quaint.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    LED readouts. How quaint.
    TFT readouts. How prone to burnout, especially with the IC-756 Pro.

I think for a direct replacement, I would most likely go for yellow, as opposed to green, digits.

Blue would be different though. (Yes, I "got" that they're not in stock at present)

I'm not sure if the LED color is critical. Blue instead of red would be interesting.

I take it that the display board that will be populated was an acquisition from a rig being parted out?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

BTW Fred, any chance you'll be stopping by the WACOM hamfest on Sunday? If so, stop over at my table (wherever it ends up being) and say "hi"
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I think for a direct replacement, I would most likely go for yellow, as opposed to green, digits.

Blue would be different though. (Yes, I "got" that they're not in stock at present)

I'm not sure if the LED color is critical. Blue instead of red would be interesting.

I take it that the display board that will be populated was an acquisition from a rig being parted out?
    Ebay's yer buddy. I got hold of a spare Omni VI board and it has its full OEM complement of LEDs installed.

The Paragon II's readout is blue VFD for both the frequency and clock/memory functions. It also features green annunciators for VFO selection, split, RIT/XIT and so forth. I'm leaning towards blue/green until the small blue readouts come back in stock at less-than-solid-gold prices, and I'll always have two (or more) of the readout boards to experiment with,

Depending on the rig, the numbers to the right of the decimal point had a different color. I think that's pretty cool, even it it's not stock, such as the earlier Omni and Corsair rigs... Red on the left, green on the right.

BTW, I put pale blue LED's in the meter for my old Omni D Series B.

This is a series C. Classy lookin' rig IMHO, eh?

So, any color scheme would be neato... Maybe orange on the left, blue on the right...

Oh wait... blue on the left, red on the right?
    Last edited by WØTKX; 10-31-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman