Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: headphones

SK Member 8/11/2015

headphones

Anyone know which headphone would be better for 10 meter phone use, mono or stereo ? My wife sleeps in the room next to this one and the wall are thin, it wakes her up. Not interested in the ones with mic.

What rig are you using? The phone jacks on modern Icom rigs work fine with any set of standard stereo headphones, don't know if that's the case with Yaesu or Kenwood. Like you, I don't care for a boom mic so I use a ancient pair of Koss 4AA cans (intended for music listening) and a Heil iCM mic with my 746PRO and have no complaints beyond the fact that the 'phones suddenly seem to weigh about forty pounds after a few hours of use.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I use a Heil ProSet 6. Great headphones, not hard on the ears. Hear the faint DX sounds easily; and when Used with the right radio (like a FT5K) U can hear the 2nd Rcvr sound in the other ear so U can monitor the DX and the pileup all at once. use it everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    What rig are you using? The phone jacks on modern Icom rigs work fine with any set of standard stereo headphones, don't know if that's the case with Yaesu or Kenwood. Like you, I don't care for a boom mic so I use a ancient pair of Koss 4AA cans (intended for music listening) and a Heil iCM mic with my 746PRO and have no complaints beyond the fact that the 'phones suddenly seem to weigh about forty pounds after a few hours of use.

Take the tuna out of the cans, and they will be lighter.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Forum Addict
    Just avoid the ones that are marked as "open", and you'll be fine. Most of the ones under $100 (except for Grados) are closed-back, so sound leakage won't be a problem.

Oddly enough, I was on another forum just now getting headphone recs, but for music listening...as much as I'd like a pair of floorstanders in my office, I don't think that'll fly...

Edit - FWIW, if you have any inkling of being in a contest, you owe it to yourself to get a set with a mic, and either run VOX or use a footswitch. Once you've done that, you'll never go back to a hand or desk mic for contesting again, especially if you're computer logging.
    Last edited by KG4NEL; 10-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

You can always get an adaptor from mono to stereo.
    And/or size changes. Radioshack, if they still exist.

Some rigs allow you to do interesting things in stereo.
    My Flex 3000 in stereo spreads the panapter.
    Lower frequencies go left, higher go right. 8)

Others, as mentioned, can run the second RX in different ears.

Communications headphones are nice, as they stick to voice frequencies.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I was thinking you would get audio in one on stereo headphones .

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I was thinking you would get audio in only one ear on stereo headphones .

Quote Originally Posted by kk4fpx View Post
    I was thinking you would get audio in only one ear on stereo headphones .
    That will happen if you're using an older rig. As has been said in several earlier posts, it depends on the the equipment you are using. Icom rigs at least as far back as the IC-736 will give you audio in both ears using stereo headphones. More advanced rigs will let you listen to both your main receiver and a split frequency or second receiver, one in each ear.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-23-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Can be true, depends on the way the jack is wired. The only way to know is plug 'em in and see. If needed get an adaptor, if you want both ears to work. Simple.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman