Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technological Times That Test What You're Made Of.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    If you were a Haxor and you acquired the computer records of over 420,000 customers, how would you exploit that information?

?
    You might wonder why I am "Stuck" on this, let me explain why.

I am going to explain this in the terms of "Credit Card Theft". Say that some low-life lifts the wallet from an unattended purse at a shopping mall; with the cards in hand, time is critical and the thief immediately goes out and buys as much as possible in a short time period before the cards are reported stolen.

Compare this to another low-life who steals the personal records of 420,000+ customers of a major Auto Finance agency. He's now has over 420,000+ credit cards and bank account information; he can't go to the mall with 420,000+ credit cards and buy iPads, Prada shoes, or PlayStation-4s. He has to have a plan consisting of a integrated strategy on how to divert the money from the cards and where to put the money once it has been discovered missing.

<conspiracy-theory>Having had full access to the company files, it is easy to duplicate billing notices (with one minor change) and generate Phishing emails on official company branded documents.

Set up a bank in the Cayman Islands under the name of the automobile financing Company.

Wait.

Three years later, send emails and paper bills to the phished customers directing them to change their payment system to the funnel of the Cayman Islands bank; in the email was a phishing link to click and add personal identifying information. The paper bill was identical to a genuine bill with the exception of the change of a P.O. Box address, city and zipcode printed on the return section of the invoice.

Watch the money roll into your Cayman Islands bank account as the real finance agency is inundated with calls about billing irregularities.

While not publicly admitting that something is / was amiss; the automobile finance company worked with the banks to address the issue.

The object of the credit card thief at the mall and the computer haxor were the same, the tactics / game plan was different but, in the end they both succeeded.

</conspiracy-theory>

Made me take many deep breaths and, rearrange my banking preferences.

Christo de Cheesus. That's a lot of _____.