Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CQ Won't Recognize Crimean Stations with Russian Calls

CQ Won't Recognize Crimean Stations with Russian Calls

http://www.arrl.org/news/cq-will-not...ued-call-signs

"CQ has announced that it will no longer accept logs for any CQ-sponsored contest from stations in Crimea operating with Russian-issued call signs.

< snip >
    See also http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/ for their full announcement
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Dumb move. They shouldn't let politics enter into this sort of thing.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Bastids
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

For Crimean out loud! :roll:
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Oh, cry me a river....
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Master Navigator
    That's certainly going to leave a bruise! The CQ World Wide DX SSB Contest is only eight days away. Putin needs to act fast to re-evaluate his Crimean priorities! :)
    Last edited by XE1/N5AL; 10-17-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    It's always apolitical until the wingers want to make a political statement.

Back in the 80's, ham stations were running traffic for Lithuanians seeking to separate from the USSR. I wrote a letter to QST which they printed (3 months later) stating I felt that was an inappropriate use of ham radio. Of course, they printed a response the next issue from a noted contester K1 something saying that situation was "different". His logic made no sense. It was something along the line of "because commies".

I think my letter made reference to the howling that would have gone on in the ham community if we had run traffic for the Sandanistas in 1978 in Nicaragua.

The K1 station's name was Tom and the call was a 1x2. I wish I could remember who he was. I did work him later when I was portable in Nevada. That was an interesting conversation.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post
    It's always apolitical until the wingers want to make a political statement.

Back in the 80's, ham stations were running traffic for Lithuanians seeking to separate from the USSR. I wrote a letter to QST which they printed (3 months later) stating I felt that was an inappropriate use of ham radio. Of course, they printed a response the next issue from a noted contester K1 something saying that situation was "different". His logic made no sense. It was something along the line of "because commies".

I think my letter made reference to the howling that would have gone on in the ham community if we had run traffic for the Sandanistas in 1978 in Nicaragua.

The K1 station's name was Tom and the call was a 1x2. I wish I could remember who he was. I did work him later when I was portable in Nevada. That was an interesting conversation.

Yeah, I'll bet it was

I've already posted my opinion on the whole Ukraine thing so I won't go into it except to say that, while I think Putin is an asshole, what he's done there isn't any different than what any other leader of a major nation would have done in similar circumstances and that CQ is out of line with their decision to punish hams with Russian-issued calls who live in the Crimea.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-18-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Well, someone (NOT ME) posted a link to this on the CQ Contest email reflector, and it has gotten QUITE nasty with the finger pointing and name calling.

I'm actually surprised that the mods have let this go on as long as it has. Of course, they have to approve all posts, so I can just imagine what has NOT been passed through.

There are clearly two camps on this.

One side says, Crimea is part of the Ukraine, therefore, "Russian" calls for the Crimea are not valid.
    The other side says, Crimea is now, again, part of Russia (or controlled by, or), and since it is, the licenses are valid.

There is no middle ground.

There are going to be some hard feelings on the air next week during CQ WW.

I think I'll paint the living room.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Let them all argue, i am going to put as many of them into my log as possible because...i ham radio and stuff.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.