Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any9ne know if this antenna mod would work? 40/20m dipole

Any9ne know if this antenna mod would work? 40/20m dipole

I have a 40m hamstick dipole using a MFJ-347 as the center support. I'm wondering if it's feasible to hang a 20m inverted V using the hamstick mounts while the hamsticks are still mounted to it, making it a 20/40m dipole. I currently have the 40m hung as a vertical. I am wondering if keeping it as a vertical would affect the 20m inverted v in any way? How/will would they interact with each other in a negative way?

I have a bunch of 16g coated wire and I just need to solder a couple ring terminators to the ends and attach those to the screw in points on the hamsticks and raise it back up. OR I could just remove the hamstick dipoles and make it a monoband. Just need to get a few 3/8 x 24inch bolts.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks

n2nkw

I can't see why it would be any different than any other fan dipole but, before you transmit, I'd put an antenna analyzer on it before you transmit just to be sure that your SWR is in the ballpark. PA transistors don't come cheap.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I can't see why it would be any different than any other fan dipole but, before you transmit, I'd put an antenna analyzer on it before you transmit just to be sure that your SWR is in the ballpark. PA transistors don't come cheap.

PA transistors are a lot like buses, they don't come, they arrive.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Not a problem there. Got a mfj259c i use to tune the hamsticks. I'm just wondering if it will work ok with the hamsticks in a mostly vertical orientation. The bottom hamstick would be dropping down between the 20m legs and I dont know if that would affect them or not. Gonna try this out this afternoon once the rain quits

You still have your roof, I assume?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by N2NKW View Post
    Not a problem there. Got a mfj259c i use to tune the hamsticks. I'm just wondering if it will work ok with the hamsticks in a mostly vertical orientation. The bottom hamstick would be dropping down between the 20m legs and I dont know if that would affect them or not. Gonna try this out this afternoon once the rain quits
    I'm wondering if the 20 meter legs might act as a ground plane of sorts, and actually enhance the 40m signal somewhat. As Carl said, it shouldn't act a lot different than a multi-band fan dipole. At least as far as impedance goes. But I would think the angle of radiation would be effected. It would be interesting to model the thing on one of the antenna programs. I suspect, as with most antennas, you may also have to do some pruning for optimum performance. Let us know how it works out. It's an interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    You still have your roof, I assume?
    Yes, but it's in the back yard now.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Yes, but it's in the back yard now.
    That's much more convenient than if it had been in the neighbor's back yard.

heheh yep still got my roof. Was listening to the news this morning. The "roof" that was blown off in town here last night was actually just a screen door...LOL Seems whoever reported it was embellishing a bit or something...

That would be nice if the 20m affects the directivity of my 40m. I seem to only get ne/sw signals. I don't get a lot of florida or washington state sigs. but I get a lot of new england and socal.. I think thats because my "vertical" isn't exactly vertical. It has a 10/15 degree list to is as the coax and pvc pipe i run for the coax to keep it 90 degrees from the dipole leg pulls it off center

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    PA transistors are a lot like buses, they don't come, they arrive.
    Sounds like an ex of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by N2NKW View Post
    heheh yep still got my roof. Was listening to the news this morning. The "roof" that was blown off in town here last night was actually just a screen door...LOL Seems whoever reported it was embellishing a bit or something...

That would be nice if the 20m affects the directivity of my 40m. I seem to only get ne/sw signals. I don't get a lot of florida or washington state sigs. but I get a lot of new england and socal.. I think thats because my "vertical" isn't exactly vertical. It has a 10/15 degree list to is as the coax and pvc pipe i run for the coax to keep it 90 degrees from the dipole leg pulls it off center
    Vertically-polarized stuff is interesting. For a while in 2011 I was using a vertical dipole with ten-foot horizontal sections on the top and bottom, fed with 300-ohm line in the middle. Let the tuna take care of the rest.

I have no idea what the pattern was, but it was pretty good into Europe.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry