Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CB RADIO in the 1970s...

CB RADIO in the 1970s...

...From 8 to 10 million more CB sets will be sold in 1976, which with extra equipment could amount to some $2.5 billion worth—nearly as much as total sales of TV sets. One of the biggest manufacturers, Hy-Gain Electronics Corp. (maker of Betty Ford's rig), reported that 1976 first-quarter sales quintupled those for the same period in 1975. A $2.95 paperback CB dictionary has sold more than a quarter of a million copies. "CB Land," as enthusiasts call it, is served by a babel of newspapers, magazines, thousands of clubs and a lobby in Washington. The cult's most celebrated recent convert after Betty Ford is Snoopy, who has found solace with CB in the Peanuts strip.

Three of the biggest U.S. electronics manufacturers decided this year to enter the lucrative market for what the song The White Knight described as "that Japanese toy, that trucker's joy." Most 1976 American cars can be bought with the sets installed; nearly half of all trucks in the U.S. are CB-equipped. The cost is relatively low—from about $90 to $350 for a serviceable set and antenna—and CB is simple to install in a truck, car or boat, drawing its power from the vehicle's battery. The same units can be plugged in at home with inexpensive DC inverters to cut house voltage down to the 12 volts needed to go on the air. Portable units cost even less. The FCC estimates that in time there will be 60 million licensed CB sets in operation. As one industry executive says, "The more people are on the air, the more people want to join them on the air."
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...4194-1,00.html
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Re: CB RADIO in the 1970s...

Potentially even more annoying is the widespread abuse of the channels —especially by so-called potty mouths using obscenities.

^that part hasnt changed...
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Yeah... at times I wonder if 147.435 is cleaner than 27.185......
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KWH
    Yeah... at times I wonder if 147.435 is cleaner than 27.185......
    Or is it vice versa

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I don't see where there is an issue with either of those frequencies as the dip wads who had factory installed CBs in their new cars in 1976 are all now on 3.913 and 14.275.
    KD8EFQ ~ "With MFJ one might as well stand outside during the worst possible calamity and wair for death."

Island Regular

ya rank 3.913 with 14.275? in that i beg to differ, i hear many intelligent conversations as well as helpful info come off the freq. but what would i know
    man does the amp smell like dirty boots!

We live in different parts of the country....... or do you really consider the dip tards in Atlanta to be capable of intelligent banter?
    KD8EFQ ~ "With MFJ one might as well stand outside during the worst possible calamity and wair for death."

"The FCC estimates that in time there will be 60 million licensed CB sets in operation.

It was round about that time they gave up on licensing and enforcement.

"As one industry executive says, "The more people are on the air, the more people want to join them on the air."

Yup, that's when everything snowballed out of control and CB stood for Chop Busting. You think stirring up the hornets on teh zed is fun?

I met some devil CBers,
    They took my mic away
    They said I had it coming to me
    But I wanted it that way
    I think that any bustin' is good bustin'
    So I took what I could get
    I looked at them with big brown eyes and said

You ain't seen nothing yet
    B-B-B-Baby you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothing yet
    Here's something that your never gonna forget
    B-B-B-Baby you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothing yet

You just haven't been AROUND!
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I happen to miss those days. Of course I was a teenager, but what the hell. The world seemed a lot simpler then.
    73 de Mike, N5RLR

"I drink for the honorable purpose of getting bagged." -- Jackie Gleason
    "It is my belief...that the truth is generally preferable to lies." -- Albus Dumbledore

Quote Originally Posted by N5RLR
    I happen to miss those days. Of course I was a teenager, but what the hell. The world seemed a lot simpler then.
    I grew up right on US 6 in N.W. Ohio. m font porch was less than 20 ft from the road. My foster brother used to get a kick out of going on channel 19 and giving false "smokey reports".
    73 de Keith
    'Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself.'
    --Mark Twain