Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icom 756ProIII

Icom 756ProIII

Wow what can I say its perfect, for me that is.
    Obviously everyone's opinion will differ somewhat.
    DSP and filters work great.
    The mini scope is a wonderful toy that allows me to use my multi function meter simultaneously with the scope.
    The receiver is astounding as are the EQ options.
    The internal tuner works rather well, much better than the ones in my FT-920 and the IC-746.
    The little things amaze me, lol, like the multiple backgrounds to choose from.
    Another function that I love is that there are to clocks, I set one to local time and the other to Zulu.
    As much as I like having the muti function meter I also enjoy having an analog S meter.
    Controlling the rig is simple as there are not a lot of complicated menus like with the 7000.
    I does not have 503 memories like my 7000 but it does not need them either since there are no vhf/uhf capabilities.
    I have no dislikes or regrets as of yet, and I hope it stays that way.
    I am definitely happy with my purchase.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Re: Icom 756ProIII

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ
    Wow what can I say its perfect, for me that is.
    Obviously everyone's opinion will differ somewhat.
    DSP and filters work great.
    The mini scope is a wonderful toy that allows me to use my multi function meter simultaneously with the scope.
    The receiver is astounding as are the EQ options.
    The internal tuner works rather well, much better than the ones in my FT-920 and the IC-746.
    The little things amaze me, lol, like the multiple backgrounds to choose from.
    Another function that I love is that there are to clocks, I set one to local time and the other to Zulu.
    As much as I like having the muti function meter I also enjoy having an analog S meter.
    Controlling the rig is simple as there are not a lot of complicated menus like with the 7000.
    I does not have 503 memories like my 7000 but it does not need them either since there are no vhf/uhf capabilities.
    I have no dislikes or regrets as of yet, and I hope it stays that way.
    I am definitely happy with my purchase.

Yep, still very much pleased with my purchase.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Glad to hear it. My ProIII is still bringing me lots of enjoyment. I would have liked more SO2V features though, such as stereo dual VFOs. I am itching to try SO2R.

Quote Originally Posted by N2RJ
    Glad to hear it. My ProIII is still bringing me lots of enjoyment. I would have liked more SO2V features though, such as stereo dual VFOs. I am itching to try SO2R.
    I never thought about that before.

After some time in the chair, I am wondering how another rig would perform in extreme contest duty.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my ProIII, but as a run rig I think I am pushing it to its limits. The close in dynamic range just isn't there for contest duty, something which I was warned about but didn't take too seriously.

I would really like the performance of a K3 but I hate the ergonomics of the damn thing. 7800 is out for now. I am wondering if I can muster up enough cash for a 7700. That would be interesting...

Or I might end up trying an inrad filter. $200 is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new radio.

After some time in the chair, I am wondering how another rig would perform in extreme contest duty.
    I dont really get into contesting.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my ProIII, but as a run rig I think I am pushing it to its limits. The close in dynamic range just isn't there for contest duty, something which I was warned about but didn't take too seriously.
    I dont think that I will ever push my pro3 to the limits. I am more of a casual op than hardcore. I enjoy reading radio manuals, qst articles, and other related materials more than actually running the rig. Im getting bored with ssb....I really need to quit procrastinating and get the code down 100% or maybe try some digi work. Heck maybe I need to buy a kit.
    I would really like the performance of a K3 but I hate the ergonomics of the damn thing. 7800 is out for now. I am wondering if I can muster up enough cash for a 7700. That would be interesting...
    Or I might end up trying an inrad filter. $200 is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new radio.
    What about the new 7600? Do you think it will out perform the pro3 or be in the same league? I would not mind playing with a k3 or a new TT for that matter. I agree with you about the filter, try it.

GL

What about the 7600?

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF

What about the 7600?
    Might be better, but buying a new radio isn't top priority for me right now. Maybe next year for CQWW I'll get another rig as a "run rig" and delegate the ProIII as my mult rig.

I would really like the performance of a K3 but I hate the ergonomics of the damn thing.
    Doesn't bother me, but then I'm not a serious contester in the first place.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N
    Doesn't bother me, but then I'm not a serious contester in the first place.
    With most of these radios anymore, they are all computer controlled anysways, so the ergonomics of the front panel don't really mean a lot.

Something with a clean output and a good front end on the receive is all I ask.