Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCC Gets Serious About 11 Meter Enforcement

FCC Gets Serious About 11 Meter Enforcement

The FCC is starting to seriously enforce the rules for the CB Radio crowd.

Right on the heels of a whopping $14,000 proposed forfeiture for a Florida CBer for failing to allow a station inspection, the FCC Enforcement Bureau is recommending a $22,000 fine for a New York CBer. The FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability (NAL) in the case of James Engle of Lewiston, New York, on August 28, alleging that he interfered with the communications of other CBers, operated with an external linear amplifier, operated without authorization, and disregarded earlier FCC warnings.

“Mr Engle was warned repeatedly in writing by the Enforcement Bureau that his actions violated the law, and his apparent disregard for the Commission’s authority warrants an increased penalty,” the FCC said in the NAL.
    No license doesn't mean no rules.

FCC Ups the Ante in Proposing Huge Fine on CB Operator

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

He was probably causing a lot of rfi and the FCC got complaints. The funny part is that he could have avoided this by heeding the warnings that were sent to him.A person with half a brain would have at the very least decided to lay low for a while or clean up his act a bit. But he kept right on going with impunity and disregard. Now he'll have to pay the price for his arrogance.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    He was probably causing a lot of rfi and the FCC got complaints. The funny part is that he could have avoided this by heeding the warnings that were sent to him.A person with half a brain would have at the very least decided to lay low for a while or clean up his act a bit. But he kept right on going with impunity and disregard. Now he'll have to pay the price for his arrogance.
    Shockingly, this guy wasn't. He actually was running a pretty clean station, just really high power. I think he built a 2KW amplifier which would make most hams drool. He was also a pretty friendly guy.

Again, assuming this is the guy I think.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Shockingly, this guy wasn't. He actually was running a pretty clean station, just really high power. I think he built a 2KW amplifier which would make most hams drool. He was also a pretty friendly guy.

Again, assuming this is the guy I think.
    Ah well, even with the cleanest station it is possible some neighbors getting RFI complain, the Feces shows uop and figures he's running far more power than he should but he continues to operate.

He should get his ham ticket, then he could run his amps legally. One of my neighbors complained to the FCC that I was coming through some cheap Chinese crap consumer electronics of his.I was running at most 100 - 300 watts carrier amplitude modulated (close to legal PEP) and although he complained to the Feces as far as the Feces was concerned I was a legally licences station operating within all legal limits. They sent him a book on RFI proofing consumer electronics and sent me a copy of the same book. I offered to wrk on the issue with the neighbor but then my day to day operations became sporadic and we never got together on it. Had I been operating CB I would have been up the crick without a paddle.

BTW... In my CB Daze when I was a Monster Station and running well in excess of what I should have been running the Feces was nowhere to be seen. Nor did I ever get an RFI complaint... That was during the Reaganian times.

The guy who was cited was running high power and deliberately interfering with other people's transmissions so I doubt it was Mr. Friendly.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    The guy who was cited was running high power and deliberately interfering with other people's transmissions so I doubt it was Mr. Friendly.
    More like Mr. Meany. Thing that makes me wonder is that he was warned repeatedly yet ignored every warning. Shit, if I got a warning from the FCC (as a CB'er) I would at least stop operating and lay low for quite a while. I wouldn't even question it as the law sets a rather low power limit for CB.
    Last edited by n2ize; 09-02-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Banned
    Lewiston eh? Must be all the nuclear waste.

Let's see them crack down on the Superbowlers.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Yeah, that seven-ten split is a bitch.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    The FCC said that last October 23, agents from the Commission’s Philadelphia office, responding to a complaint from a CB operator on 27.325 MHz, CB channel 32, tracked the interfering transmissions to Engle’s station and “heard him repeatedly interrupt ongoing transmissions of another CB operator.” The following day, the agents inspected Engle’s CB station and discovered two linear RF amplifiers. The FCC said Engle “admitted that he used one of the power amplifiers” the previous night. Testing showed the unit was capable of putting out nearly 150 W.

Does the FCC have to get a search warrant before they can knock on your door; why the "next day" inspection, if he's broadcasting illegally, why wait until the next day?

Yes, they are really getting serious; seriously stupid for chasing a Chicken Bander running 150 watts.