Thread: Mixed use on HSMM

Orca Whisperer

Mixed use on HSMM

So, by and large, HSMM uses standard networking tools (OSLR, etc etc). The only thing that would make it Part 97 is EIRP limits being exceeded.

So, my question is this: If end users connect via Part 15 signals (Or wired, for that matter), and my license is used for the Part 97 links (Where high power is employed, no encryption, etc etc), does this count as "Third party traffic", or just blatant violation of the rules?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    So, by and large, HSMM uses standard networking tools (OSLR, etc etc). The only thing that would make it Part 97 is EIRP limits being exceeded.

So, my question is this: If end users connect via Part 15 signals (Or wired, for that matter), and my license is used for the Part 97 links (Where high power is employed, no encryption, etc etc), does this count as "Third party traffic", or just blatant violation of the rules?
    One thing to consider is content. If the Part 15 user is surfing the web, browsing commercial web pages, that's legal, but not if the traffic is over a Part 97 connection.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    One thing to consider is content. If the Part 15 user is surfing the web, browsing commercial web pages, that's legal, but not if the traffic is over a Part 97 connection.
    So, how do mariners do it on the ham bands?

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    So, how do mariners do it on the ham bands?
    Illegally.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Illegally.
    Ah, ok... I figured as long as it wasn't for a commercial purpose (ie, checking email), and done in the clear, I'm good to go. Oh well, Part 15 ISM links it is :)