Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY TIMES: In Push to Shorten Games, There’s No Time to Waste

NY TIMES: In Push to Shorten Games, There’s No Time to Waste

A suggestion to make the foul ball after strike two into strike three and to have pitching changes take 3 outs rather than numerous pitching changes in a single inning.

Sounds like heresy to me.

Wanna shorten the game? Play until 30 minutes has passed. When the clock hits a half-hour, declare it to the leading team. Ties will be allowed.

Really? Why mess with the game just because it can last as long as it needs to? Part of the charm of Baseball is it is one of a few sports that doesn't use a clock.

What say you?

LINK: NY TIMES: Imagine a foul ball as Strike Three.
    Last edited by N2NH; 08-23-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Posted Link
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I agree with you completely.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Count me in. Baseball is by far my most favorite sport, second only to Australian dick wrestling and roller fucking.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Count me in. Baseball is by far my most favorite sport, second only to Australian dick wrestling and roller fucking.
    Roller fucking? That sounds intriguing. Please sign me up for your newsletter.

If they're serious about speeding up the game, they could always limit the number of times a player is allowed to step out of the batter's box during his at-bat. I mean, do they really need to adjust the strap on their glove after every pitch?
    Last edited by NQ6U; 08-23-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

You want to shorten games?

Umpires don't have to grant unlimited time outs
    Limit time outs and mound conferences 1 minute.
    Don't permit the batter to leave the batters box after every pitch.
    Enforce the 30 second rule. Pitcher should have 30 seconds after getting the ball back to set and throw the next pitch.
    Cut down the number of warm up pitches thrown after the team takes the field between half innings.
    Last edited by W3WN; 08-23-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    You want to shorten games?Enforce the 30 second rule. Pitcher should have 30 seconds after getting the ball back to set and throw the next pitch.
    Are you referring to the currently unenforced 12 second rule, which applies only when there are no runners on base?

Quote Originally Posted by wb5ydk View Post
    Are you referring to the currently unenforced 12 second rule, which applies only when there are no runners on base?
    Maybe he means the five second rule, which applies when you drop your hot dog in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by wb5ydk View Post
    Trying to type while mobile (don't worry, it was the boss's turn to drive) is a major pain. That sentence somehow got clipped.

Yes, that rule, although I thought it was also 30 secs with runners on. You get the idea tho -- quit wasting time, pitch the damn ball.

All of those suggestions are simple, easy, obvious, and will never happen, for those very reasons.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Master Navigator
    ^^^Thanks, I understood your suggestions and they make sense.

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Maybe he means the five second rule, which applies when you drop your hot dog in the stands.
    I hate it when that happens.