Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: length of a power line...

length of a power line...

Let's say that I were to put at least a 2m/70cm rig in the trailer. The marine battery is way up at the front of the trailer, and my mounting position inside is right in the middle.

Would 10 to 20 feet of power wires be ok, or would I lose (what would it be) volts? by the time it got to the radio?

Ten feet isn't a problem. Twenty feet starts to be a problem.

I would suggest a pair of #8 or #6 wires to a DC distribution panel, located near the operating position. This would allow for future expansion to an HF rig at some point.

Something on the order of this:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009865
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Banned
    Just use heavy gauge wire and you'll be fine. I would try to ground to the body/frame somewhere close to the radio in addition to the power cables though, for a better RF ground.

For a 100 watt rig at that length, I'd go with 8 gauge minimum.
    Last edited by N2CHX; 08-17-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Ten feet isn't a problem. Twenty feet starts to be a problem.

I would suggest a pair of #8 or #6 wires to a DC distribution panel, located near the operating position. This would allow for future expansion to an HF rig at some point.

Something on the order of this:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009865
    Agreed. If it's 20 feet I'd definitely go with the heaviest wire manageable.

Conch Master
    Since you probably have room, would another battery be an idea, especialy if you don't want to drain the house battery?
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Well there is a 3 stage converter in the trailer under the stove. It puts out 13.6 volts I think. My friend checked each of the mini fuses on the DC side with his fluke meter.

I just dont know if there's any space to steal power from.

As for another battery, I'm not sure how I'd add that.

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    Bungie cords, to the roof.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    Well there is a 3 stage converter in the trailer under the stove. It puts out 13.6 volts I think. My friend checked each of the mini fuses on the DC side with his fluke meter.

I just dont know if there's any space to steal power from.

(Chris, I love your candor and the naiveté of a still "new" ham)

A know-it-all (from the CB days) such as myself would say, "just get another battery and connect them in parallel; connect hot side to hot side and, ground to ground on both batteries". However, it is possible for one battery to "ask" for more charging voltage and, damage the other battery which is already at charge.

If, you do run a line from the battery to the interior of the vehicle, make sure that it is fused on the outside (very close to the battery) of the passenger compartment and another fuse inside for the sake of safety.

Look out ya'll next thing ya know, he'll be over at Da-'Zed inquiring, "How to make a dye-pole?"

I know that everyone isn't as electrically astute as me, just poking him a little
    Last edited by koØm; 08-17-2014 at 06:15 PM.

If the 3 stage converter takes a portion of the 110 and converts it to DC, and sends 13.6 volts to the battery as a trickle charge... Couldn't I just tap into those somehow?

I suppose the easiest thing would be to put an RS-20a on the kitchen counter, and plug it into the 110 outlets huh? LOL

The combination of the AC system, and the DC system in the one vehicle confuses the hell out of me......

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    I know that everyone isn't as electrically astute as me, just poking him a little

Done poke too hard. I'm one of those girly boys who might like it....