Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rens DX100b Refurb

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland

Rens DX100b Refurb

Ok Greetings all. I decided to take a mental health day and spent pretty much all of it down here in the basement beginning the refurb. Here's some highlights.

1. Overall bottom deck. No overt zorch, exploded components or other WTFIT issues. Just dusty. Bit of dust gun and a soft brush.

2. Issue number one. Busted phenolic so239. Easy enough to replace with a brandy new teflon one.

3. Issue number two. Cold solder joint on the tuning caps. Easy enough to fix. Re-flow and fixed!

4. All nice and purdy now!

Went thru and checked screws, nuts, solder joints etc on the bottom. Found some loose stuff no biggie. Again, no cracked/bulged/blown components. Dusted and de-oxit'd all the snap switches and caps. Nice movement now. flipped back up. Started on the top deck with dusting and cleaning. No biggie. Started checking the tubes. Pulling each one out. Wiping down (no solvents just a soft cloth) and de-oxit of the pins.

More in next post...
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland

Part 2

Welcome back...

5. Problem number 3. WTF!!! Looks like I am going to have to buy a new set of 6146 finals! Bastard!

6. Buh.... Eh. Not too expensive.

So I am whileing away the evening cleaning tubes. Then up for a dram of rye and off to napppy bye land.

More later!

On Edit...

I want to put every one of these tubes on a tester but I need to check my tester out to trust it...always something to do.
    Last edited by w3bny; 08-06-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Fun chit, working on boat anchors—it helps that everything is big enough to see without magnification. I really enjoyed restoring the Drake twins and actually made a profit on the deal when I was done.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 08-06-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    Welcome back...

5. Problem number 3. WTF!!! Looks like I am going to have to buy a new set of 6146 finals! Bastard!

6. Buh.... Eh. Not too expensive.

So I am whileing away the evening cleaning tubes. Then up for a dram of rye and off to napppy bye land.

More later!
    Don't give up on the 6146 if the plate cap is the only problem, at least not just yet. If the wire still makes it through the tube envelope and the tube itself is good, remove the solder from the cap and take it off. You'll end up with the plate cap with a small hole in it. The cap can be glued back onto the glass with a non conductive heat tolerant adhesive and the wire fed through the hole and re-soldered. I have done that before, and as I recall I used Ambroid glue. I'm sure there are many other adhesives that would work, maybe something for automotive use can be found.

You're a ham, never say die.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

If Eddie's suggestion doesn't work I have a couple sets of those sitting around.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I MAY have a spare pair of 6146's from the 520.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Don't worry, I've re-soldered plenty of them without adhesive (you have those set screw heat finned caps a smart ham replaced the cheap clips with) and they worked just fine. He was smart enough to do that, so why couldn't he solder worth a poop? Oh, that's not a phenolic SO-239, it's Steatite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I MAY have a spare pair of 6146's from the 520.
    Doesn't the DX-60 only use one 6146?

Quote Originally Posted by kd6vm View Post
    Doesn't the DX-60 only use one 6146?

Yes, but he has the DX-100, which uses a pair.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

LOVE the smell of solder flux in the morning!
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman