Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted!

Opinions wanted!

Getting ready to purchase a new rig. I have been watching and reading reviews over the last few weeks. Over the last few months I have been hemming and hawing over getting the Elecraft KX3 or the Yaesu FT817nd as both are QRP rigs and I was wanting one to take with me in the big truck.

Over the last few weeks I have been trying to parse out a plan for setting up power and antenna in the truck and I have come to realize that HF just isnt going to happen without making some serious alterations to the truck. As it isn't my truck, these alterations just ARENT going to happen. So I am changing my plan and considering a base or mobile to use as a base at home. I am now looking at 100w instead of QRP. For my antenna I have decided on getting a MFJ 1788 or 1786 magloop. This is a compromise antenna I know but I just am not interested in installing a permanent antenna on my house. It's a rental and I just dont feel like messing with the landlord about what I can install and where.

So this leaves me on what to choose for a rig. I had REALLY had my heart set on a FTdx1200 but that is just outside my financial ability. I am wondering what opinions are on Icom ic7200, Yaesu FT450d, Kenwood TS-480SAT.

I have always like Icom products. I have a out of service IC-706mkiig that lasted a long time as well as a IC-721A. The 7200 has a nice look to it. It doesnt have a tuner in it though but as I will be using the magloop or the High Sierra motorized antenna, thats really a moot point. I have heard it has a good reciever. I'm not really sure how good the DSP is though. The radio has built in USB port which I am excited about as I want to get into digital modes and being able to interface the rig to computer is a big help. Gigaparts has it for $889

The Yaesu FT450d I know really nothing about. I have never owned a Kenwood product so I have no real backgound to make a comparison with. Looking at the EHAM reviews I cant really decide if this is a good rig or not. Anyone here ever owned one? Pricing is a factor I am looking at and Gigaprts has it for $808

The Kenwood TS-480SAT kind of intrigues me. Reading the reviews on EHAM, I kind of like what I am reading although I know to take several grains of salt with most reviews there. The radio has an auto tuner in it which I wont really use. The ts-480HX is a 200w radio without the AT but once again I will be using a magloop that can only handle 150w. I Kind of like the look of the 480 but thats not really a deciding factor. Gigaparts has it for $919

I have considered looking at others like TenTec and Elecraft high end radio's but they are just too far out of site pricewise so arent really in consideration. Looking at the FT-897/857 I'm not really considering these as they are the end of life for manufacturing. I cant get my 706mkiig fixed for the same reason so I wont go down that road with those 2 rigs

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions on what I should do?

IB43N (In Before Jim):

TS-480, hands down.

If you would consider a used rig, one of the later model Ten-Tecs. Should you insist on QRP, that would be an Argonaut V.

Find a used Elecraft K2. Or a TS-590S. I hear great things about the IC-7000 and have a NIB unit waiting to be installed in my car next year.

Etc. ...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    I'm a Yaesu guy myself (Mainly, because they are the least expensive option for the features you want), but I've heard nothing but good about the TS-480SAT. I would have likely gotten that rig had I not been looking for one that does VHF/UHF/6M as well as HF.

I just got a FT-857D a couple of days ago. It's lain out pretty much like my 817ND, which means lots of menus to do what you want, but super compact (Slightly longer than a 2M single band mobile radio). The fan turns on every time it's keyed. And, finding out how to adjust output power was a challenge of sorts. It comes with the remote head kit now at most places, so you get that option (Protip: Remote head kit means a clip to snap the head into, and long RJ11 and Cat5 cables). The "minuses" for the 857 are outweighed (For me) by the functions the box has. The 857 might be EOL (The 897 is), or they might continue to run it for a while.

I passed on the 450 because nothing onboard blew my skirt up to justify the price bump from the 857. I passed on the Icom unit you named, for a couple of reasons: a) It didn't have the feature set I wanted (VHF/UHF), b) It's ugly as sin.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    IB43N (In Before Jim):
    Only because I didn't bother to respond last night. My bias is pretty well known around here. ;)

TS-480, hands down.
    If all you want is HF/6, I would agree.

If you would consider a used rig, one of the later model Ten-Tecs. Should you insist on QRP, that would be an Argonaut V.

Find a used Elecraft K2. Or a TS-590S.
    I have no opinion on Ten-Tec. I've never owned one. I got a chance to play with an original Orion (monochrome screen) and I didn't like the way it operated. Ten-Tec seems to be of a different mindset when it comes to ergonomics.

A K2 is probably a good choice if you want portable operation. A used TS-590 would be the better choice of the 2, IMO.

I hear great things about the IC-7000 and have a NIB unit waiting to be installed in my car next year.

Etc. ...
    As I said, my bias is well known. Even a used IC-7000 would be a great choice. That's why I have 2. ;)
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Ok thanks for the replies. I was going to wait a few days for some more info but after talking to a few friends who have the 7200, i pulled the trigger on it this morning.. I ordered from gigaparts and i also bought an Astron rs-35m PS. That should cover all i need to run it.

I didnt really consider used rigs. Theres way too much scambaggery to risk that much. $$$. I pretty much have trust issues when it comes buying other peoples stuff. Ive always had the belief that when you buy used, You're pretty much buying other peoples problems.. On a low cost item thats not much of a problem but on $1k+ You're taking a big chance. I would just as soon buy new and warranty and guarentees etc

I'd vote for the FT-857D. It does it all, and is not much larger than a 817. I chose it for my radio of choice in my Ultimate GoKit and it works great! Nice to have the 2M & 450 in it for working repeaters during demos.

Quote Originally Posted by wa6mhz View Post
    I'd vote for the FT-857D. It does it all, and is not much larger than a 817. I chose it for my radio of choice in my Ultimate GoKit and it works great! Nice to have the 2M & 450 in it for working repeaters during demos.
    Totally agree here. There's been a few small problems with the 817 that could turn into big ones. I've had both and the 857 is a great multi-band multi-mode rig if you can deal with the menus. Want QRP? Then I'd just dial back the power. Just my 2¢.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Master Navigator
    I think you will be happy with the 7200. It has ICOM's IF DSP system, same as the IC7000, and that one is superb, I think certainly the best in this price class. I've only played with a 7200 at the radio store, and diddled with a TS480 at Field Day one year. I am an ICOM fan, so the 7200 would be my choice.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Totally agree here. There's been a few small problems with the 817 that could turn into big ones. I've had both and the 857 is a great multi-band multi-mode rig if you can deal with the menus. Want QRP? Then I'd just dial back the power. Just my 2¢.
    Ok, for my edification, you turn back the power in menu #75, correct?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

A friend of mine brings his IC-7200 to Field Day every year. It seems to have some problems with phase noise which manifest themselves when operated in the vicinity of other strong signals but that's not likely to be an issue for you. About the only other negative thing I can think of is that it doesn't do FM, so no 6m repeaters. I will say that, with the rack handles installed, it's one of the cooler looking rigs out there and rugged as hell.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.