Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Toast

Texas Toast

It probably looked like a good idea at the time, putting the Astros, the worst team in both leagues in the American League to create a rivalry. But now the Texas Rangers, a usually good team are 21 games out and the Houston Astros are 19˝ games out, the Rangers in Last (sixth place) and the Astros 1˝ ahead of them in fifth place.

We could've done similar in other markets. Move the Mets into the American League to be in the same division as the Yankees. Or the LA Angels be moved into the National League to be with the Dodgers. Even move the Chicago Cubs into the American League to be with the White Sox. Or move the Athletics into the National League to be with the Giants. But I think these would likewise be really bad ideas.

So what have we learned from this? Don't Mess With The Order. Hopefully MLB found that out too.

Sorry. Just a rant about what should and what should never be.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I think at least part of the idea was to balance the number of teams in each league.

But it's a matter of unintended consequences and an example of how it's an ill wind that blows no good—now the Padres will have to work to avoid being the worst team in the National League instead of just relying on the Astros to cover that spot for them.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

The worst aspect of the move was to mandate interleague play year round.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always liked the idea that MLB was unique amongst the major sports in that the teams in each league didn't play each other at all during the regular season, excluding special exhibition games. This gradual merging of the two leagues under the MLB banner has, IMHO, taken something away from MLB and made it more like everyone else.

Not that Bud Selig ever listens to me, or anyone else.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I kinda like the interleague games. I don't like stacking the games as they were doing a few years back. The Yanks and Mets would play like a dozen games. The Red Sox and Yanks would play 18. What? To make a few bucks off of the rivalries?

I'm rooting for a team that doesn't have a rival now. The Dodgers. Then again, I could be wrong...
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    I kinda like the interleague games. I don't like stacking the games as they were doing a few years back. The Yanks and Mets would play like a dozen games. The Red Sox and Yanks would play 18. What? To make a few bucks off of the rivalries?

I'm rooting for a team that doesn't have a rival now. The Dodgers. Then again, I could be wrong...
    When they were trying to set up "natural" (interleague) rivalries, MLB never did find a good match for the Pirates.

The Pirates kept asking for Cleveland. MLB just didn't "get" it, saying that the "natural" rivalry was Cleveland vs Cincinnati -- ie, the two OH teams. And that that was the only "natural" rivalry that Cleveland could have.

I guess no one in MLB keeps up with the NFL.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

You're wrong—they have two. First, there's the old one with the Giants that dates back to when both teams were still in New York. Then there's a newer, but no less intense, rivalry with the Padres.

In truth, out here in California, the only people who like the Dodgers are Los Angelenos.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    You're wrong—they have two. First, there's the old one with the Giants that dates back to when both teams were still in New York. Then there's a newer, but no less intense, rivalry with the Padres.

In truth, out here in California, the only people who like the Dodgers are Los Angelenos.
    Must be so. I was waiting at a bus stop recently and two female Los Angelenos found me. I was wearing my Dodger hat (in Dodger Blue of course) and they thought I was from LA.
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    When they were trying to set up "natural" (interleague) rivalries, MLB never did find a good match for the Pirates.

The Pirates kept asking for Cleveland. MLB just didn't "get" it, saying that the "natural" rivalry was Cleveland vs Cincinnati -- ie, the two OH teams. And that that was the only "natural" rivalry that Cleveland could have.

I guess no one in MLB keeps up with the NFL.
    I would've thought that the Phillies would be a rival to the Bucs. I do learn something every day.
    --Philip K. Dick

Must be so. I was waiting at a bus stop recently and two female Los Angelenos found me. I was wearing my Dodger hat (in Dodger Blue of course) and they thought I was from LA.
    I was wearing my Yankees cap in Georgia and a couple of rebs found me. They beat the heck out of me. The Georgia hospital I was in told me I was perfectly okay and kicked me into the street, despite that I had a broken jaw, a concussion, a ton of broken bones, etc. I managed to crawl to a phone booth and call a friend in NYC who immediately headed down to pick me up. I managed to survive hidden in an alley until he arrived and took me back to NYC where I spent 10 months recovering.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I was wearing my Yankees cap in Georgia and a couple of rebs found me. They beat the heck out of me. The Georgia hospital I was in told me I was perfectly okay and kicked me into the street, despite that I had a broken jaw, a concussion, a ton of broken bones, etc. I managed to crawl to a phone booth and call a friend in NYC who immediately headed down to pick me up. I managed to survive hidden in an alley until he arrived and took me back to NYC where I spent 10 months recovering.
    Looks like the head injuries are permanent, eh?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL