Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplexer...

Duplexer...

What would a duplexer on a UHF/VHF be used for?

For combining a uhf and a vhf radio to use a single feed line for a multiband antenna. They are also available to combine a HF output with VHF and UHF radios (Triplexer) to run everything down one coax for a multiband antenna much like you would do in a mobile situation where you don't have an antenna for each band.

My 857 has the option to run HF +6 Meters out one jack, and the UHF/VHF out another jack, (it has a built in selectable duplexer) or you can select the option of running everything out one jack if you are using the ATAS 120 or equivalent. I have it set to run HF/6 to the ATAS 120, and VHF/UHF to a UHF/VHF antenna because at times I only use the VHF/UHF portion of the radio.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 06-27-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

What La Rata said.

At Field Day last year, we used a triplexer along with some bandpass filters to allow three people to share a single tri-band Yagi—each on a different band, of course. It worked quite well, even if it did mean that all the work I put into building my 15m Moxon turned out to be for naught.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Master Navigator
    ^^^But who got to "drive" the Yagi?

Hmmm. AFAIK, the FT-857 does not have a duplexer built in.

You have to install an external one to use a single feedline on an ATAS-120.

Moot point. Duplexers are about $70, triplexers are about $10 more.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Hmmm. AFAIK, the FT-857 does not have a duplexer built in.

You have to install an external one to use a single feedline on an ATAS-120.

Moot point. Duplexers are about $70, triplexers are about $10 more.
    You are correct, there is a menu setting that tells the radio the ATAS 120 is being used for 1.8-440 so it will tune the antenna properly, unless the VHF/UHF is going to a separate antenna. But you do have to use a diplexer to combine them onto one coax when using the ATAS for all bands.

I posted a WTB thread on the swamp for a VHF/UHF radio and someone locally replied. He has a Kenwood TM 733A with a Diamond duplexer for sale in original boxes. Wants $200 for the kit.

I knew it had something to do with multiple feeds, I just didn't know exactly what it was for.

That's not a bad deal. I like that radio, almost bought one.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    That's not a bad deal. I like that radio, almost bought one.

I bought that FTM350AR for $450 or $500 and it was WAY too much radio for me, even though it was quite a pretty radio. So I figured I'd put something cheap and easy in the Jeep and start back at the basics and grow from there to see how much I use it.

If I find myself using it a lot, and moving forward again with the hobby, then I'll look at upgrading later. I dont need all the bells and whistles right now.

So this 733A is used, and I'm trying to decide between it, or a Yaesu FT2900R.

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    I posted a WTB thread on the swamp for a VHF/UHF radio and someone locally replied. He has a Kenwood TM 733A with a Diamond duplexer for sale in original boxes. Wants $200 for the kit.

I knew it had something to do with multiple feeds, I just didn't know exactly what it was for.
    That really is a very good price for that radio, and I believe it has cross band repeat on it which can be useful.