Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Club Repeater

A nearby club has a VXR-9000 we are pretty sure and the president will contact them probably.

Thanks guys for all the info! I heard quantars are nice also

I was waiting for our ex broadcast engineer to toss her 2c in. Didn't they have that AC unit in the WWKB transmitter shack, or was that thing a bootleg still made from an old Continental water cooled transmitter final?

Now what were we talking about? Oh yeah, repeaters. I used to tell newbies all hot to trot just dieing to put a repeater on the air that unless they know how to modify an old rig and build a simple COR for it repeaters don't come cheap. So much for the ego box idea. The same thing for a club, they're going to have to invest a small fortune to rent vertical real estate, a shack to put some pricy equipment in. And Then there's DTMF land line remote control (voice link optional) if for nothing else to shut it down in the event of a jammer messing about, a strong carrier on the input blocking DTMF control signals, the transmitter hangs or transmits spurious signals in violation of the FCC rules. What's the time limit on that, 30 minutes before an NOV is issued? In any case they'll have to spend a lot of money on reliable equipment if they don't want to spend more time fixing than using it. The bottom line here is money, lots of money, so when all is said and one can the club afford it?

Last but not least is the inner circle of repeater elite snobs, cliques and infighting that spoils enjoyment of the club and its repeater. Can the club avoid this sort of thing and hang together? Can a bunch of Nazis with a sewer pipe repeater (I knew one with that exact reputation and another the same only using different words) attract members and users? You know the answer, so back to the previous question. Now ask yourself will a repeater spoil the club? Here's a clue but of course only my opinion. I've been a member of several clubs and a packet radio BBS/node remote sysop for one, some better than others, and that one with the sewer pipe repeater, it was the pits and I wasn't a member for long. On the opposite end of the spectrum the Old Barney ARC (OBARC) was the very best, I can't praise them enough, and the only one without a repeater.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.