Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply Question

Power Supply Question

If you were going to purchase a 13.6 volt power supply, which one would you go for:

This one

or

This one

To power an Icom IC-706MKIIIG

To be honest, I'd try t find a deal on a brand name like Astron. But between the two you posted, I would take the Pyramid. I've used them before, and they are analog using pass transistors. The other, I know nothing about, and the build looks cheesy, and it is probably a switching supply. If so, and designed for RC charging, it's probably dirty as hell, and it is most likely all you will hear on the receiver. Just my ha' penny.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    To be honest, I'd try t find a deal on a brand name like Astron. But between the two you posted, I would take the Pyramid. I've used them before, and they are analog using pass transistors. The other, I know nothing about, and the build looks cheesy, and it is probably a switching supply. If so, and designed for RC charging, it's probably dirty as hell, and it is most likely all you will hear on the receiver. Just my ha' penny.
    Basically, that's what I was thinking, the second one being a switching supply, I was concerned about noise.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    Basically, that's what I was thinking, the second one being a switching supply, I was concerned about noise.

The one bad thing about the Pyramid, is that they push the rating to the limit. If you try to run up to rated current, the voltage sags a bit, and the current rating is not continuous duty, either. My 706mk2g pulls just under 20 amps on peaks, and the PSU is rated at 25 amps, soooooooooo, it should be okay. Not knowing how old and how much use the supply has had, you might want to throw a scope (or an AC voltmeter) and a dc voltmeter across the B+ line at full transmit to see if the B+ sags much, and if a lot of AC ripple shows up. If so, you may want to change out the caps.

Properly designed switching supplies don't generate sufficient noise at HF. I've just about done away with all my analog supplies.

See this from August 2009 QST: http://www.centralmiarc.com/docs/Reviews/dj175t.pdf
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Properly designed switching supplies don't generate sufficient noise at HF. I've just about done away with all my analog supplies.

See this from August 2009 QST: http://www.centralmiarc.com/docs/Reviews/dj175t.pdf
    I agree that properly designed switchers have come a long way in communication applications. However, the one he has linked to is probably a wideband transmitter covering DC to light.

Orca Whisperer
    If you were going to purchase a 13.6 volt power supply, which one would you go for:

This one

or

This one

To power an Icom IC-706MKIIIG

That iCharger is just a Louisville Switcher PC power supply, that's been modded.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    That iCharger is just a Louisville Switcher PC power supply, that's been modded.
    Wall Warts make noise but, from a completely non-scientific standpoint, I have a number of PC's and when running they haven't interfered with my radio; the real issues are 'Regulation' and risk.

Do *I* want to hook my $900.00 radio up to a $40.00 ebay "deal" or, spend money on a "Name Brand"....decision, decisions......

I'm always amused at the areas were hams make "cheap" choices...
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Orca Whisperer
    Wall Warts make noise but, from a completely non-scientific standpoint, I have a number of PC's and when running they haven't interfered with my radio; the real issues are 'Regulation' and risk.

Do *I* want to hook my $900.00 radio up to a $40.00 ebay "deal" or, spend money on a "Name Brand"....decision, decisions......

Concur. The main problem with the PC power supplies is that they supply 12V, when you really need 13.8V. And, the regulation isn't too good once you get a high current draw, so the V drops to about 10.1-9V, so your radio doesn't work right (If at all).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com