Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we better off without CB? We have FRS....

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Uh, no.

Care to hazard a guess how many amateurs are engaging in illegal 11M activity at the moment (via their HF transceivers and/or operating out of band)?

You know it's widespread when the ESSB crowd not only announces the fact they're running a modified high-end amateur transceiver while on, say, 27.420, but also ID their stations with their amateur call signs.

(Yes, you read that correctly).

Get that proposed HF rig with its general coverage receiver and give a listen from 26-30MHz. You'll hear...interesting...things.
    I have listened via my shortwave radio to that and yes i have heard interesting things as you have said. And why someone would be dumb enough to use there callsign while transmitting illegally is beyond me...i can understand if you use it in conversation to tell someone your callsign if you where having a conversation on that subject. When and if i use my CB i wont identify with my callsign since it is technically not allowed. Plus i dont want some bozo to have my personal information on a public band..

My HW-8 and your Argonaut strongly disagree with that statement...
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    As does my Argonaut. Which, ironically, used to be Ron's.
    Ummm, OK, but consider the context.

I was not talking about either of you, or I, choosing to see what we can do with QRP. That's a deliberate effort to push the limits of minimal power and antennas.

I was trying to convey that I was expecting to join the swoon over CB, when by comparison to what I was just doing...

Different context.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Uh, no.

Care to hazard a guess how many amateurs are engaging in illegal 11M activity at the moment (via their HF transceivers and/or operating out of band)?

You know it's widespread when the ESSB crowd not only announces the fact they're running a modified high-end amateur transceiver while on, say, 27.420, but also ID their stations with their amateur call signs.

(Yes, you read that correctly).

Get that proposed HF rig with its general coverage receiver and give a listen from 26-30MHz. You'll hear...interesting...things.
    I have a little sympathy for the ESSB group.

They used to operate on the high ends of 17 and 10 meters. I never thought they were bothering anyone else, but some self-appointed frequency cops... or if you prefer, schmucks... drove them off.

Even so. No way can I condone illegal operation. And to use your real call signs? Why not just write Laura and invite her & the FCC staff to listen in, saves time that way.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

I've had a lot of fun with ESSB, but I only run it when a group of us are fooling with it. Panadapter displays allow one to "see the neighbors", and avoid problems. A smallish QSY can make a big difference. And it really is as nice as AM can be... seriously. Wide, clean, great audio is intriguing. But I run 1.9Khz wide 90% of the time, EQ'd to my voice.

Narrow is more efficient... and "dialed" to my voice, 1.9 is wide enough to be pleasant and articulate. Imagine that.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 04-16-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post

I was trying to convey that I was expecting to join the swoon over CB, when by comparison to what I was just doing...

Different context.
    The only difference between 10 and 11M is 1MHz and a license requirement. Period. Many amateurs have converted 11M equipment to 10M and "worked the world" using the same power levels as the maximums specified by the Part 95 regs.

I used to do a lot of weak-signal 11M SSB work back in the day when the band was heavily used. If you wanted to talk to friends who were further away than, say, 5 miles you had basically three options: Run an amplifier and/or run a large directional gain antenna if conversing during the day...or...sked late at night when E layer and F layer propagation along with the usual cast of chucklefucks called it a wrap.

The same principles apply when working weak signals on either band: Good receiver, good antenna, choose your operation times wisely.

Although dwindling in numbers, the "dedicated 11M SSB operator" has just as much fun playing in their sandbox as we do in ours. I guarantee that if the FCC relaxed the 155.1 mile Part 95 limit, you would see a lot of amateurs come out of the woodwork and start DXing on that band 'in the open'. I'm not going to risk my license on even the tiniest of infractions, so all of those DX club stations I happen across are verboten.

There aren't a lot of locals who I care to talk with, and the days of an SSB rig in every farm tractor and pickup have (sadly) passed us by, I think. Thus, at this point in time there isn't a lot I do with the band other than listen. Pity, as there was (and is) enjoyment to be had...but you have to look for it off the beaten path.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    How about we give them a band somewhere in gHz-land, subsidize kilowatt amps for that band so they're really cheap, then encourage them to build mobile "Giga-stations" into old Chevy Suburbans. Then organize a huge "Giga rally" somewhere in the south. That should take care of the bootlegging problem fairly quickly and relatively inexpensively.

"When and if i use my CB i wont identify with my callsign since it is technically not allowed."
    Please explain "technically", I don't understand why an Amateur callsign is any different than a "handle" or any form of ID on an unlicensed band.

"Plus i dont want some bozo to have my personal information on a public band."
    Since when isn't an Amateur band a public band? Because legally there can be no expectation of privacy on CB or Amateur Radio anyone can reveal the entire content word for word such as recordings of conversations to anyone without consent of those engaged in said conversations. Those you can't reveal content (but you can reveal what they're about) without consent are those made by those who "own" frequencies by FCC assignment other than broadcast intended for the general public.

Kel, as usual you make me giga until it hertz. I can picture it now, a microwave CB shootout with the guy on the receiving end downrange cooked like a Thanksgiving turkey! (Get it? ... Turkey?)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    "When and if i use my CB i wont identify with my callsign since it is technically not allowed."
    Please explain "technically", I don't understand why an Amateur callsign is any different than a "handle" or any form of ID on an unlicensed band.

"Plus i dont want some bozo to have my personal information on a public band."
    Since when isn't an Amateur band a public band? Because legally there can be no expectation of privacy on CB or Amateur Radio anyone can reveal the entire content word for word such as recordings of conversations to anyone without consent of those engaged in said conversations. Those you can't reveal content (but you can reveal what they're about) without consent are those made by those who "own" frequencies by FCC assignment other than broadcast intended for the general public.

Kel, as usual you make me giga until it hertz. I can picture it now, a microwave CB shootout with the guy on the receiving end downrange cooked like a Thanksgiving turkey! (Get it? ... Turkey?)
    IOW give them the bird? That's kinda chicken.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Fowl, even. I'll bet he comes up with some poultry excuse.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    This is starting to get pretty fowl.

Now, to answer the question raised a moment ago...

The FCC has cited Amateurs in the past who used their ham calls as "handles" on CB. As far as they appear to be interpreting the rules, by using your Amateur call as an identifier on CB, you are using your call on frequencies for which it is not licensed.

In short, it's one thing if someone says "This is Toolman. Name here is Tim, my ham call is KAØXTT." You are MENTIONING that you are also a licensed Amateur, but you aren't using the call as your handle.

But it's another thing if someone says "My handle is KAØXTT, name here is Tim." You are USING your ham call as your handle... and KAØXTT (in this example) is a General... a license class that has no frequency privileges (to transmit) between 24.990 & 28.000 MHz. That's a big no-no.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!