Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letterman retiring

Letterman retiring

Just on the news here, David Letterman announces he'll retire in 2015.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Don't know if you have seen Letterman in the last week but, he sounds weak, he stated on air that he caught something and it was messing with his voice but, he did not sound like the "Old" David Letterman; in fact, he didn't run across the stage behind the curtains just before they rise as he normally does.

He outlasted Leno.

Carson too. After all these years we won't have the gap toothed funny man to laugh at anymore, no more stupid pet tricks, no more top 10......... Does anyone remember the host who had the shortest but funniest run, Steve Allen and his goo goo doll? SHMOCK SHMOCK!
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Letterman's replacement will probably carry over the Top 10. And, hopefully will be a Democrat (someone's gotta keep the Teabaggers in check).
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

the odd thing: there's no clear successor in the wings ... as much as i like craig ferguson on the late late show, he's not the winner here.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I'd like to see Craig get a go at doing the show. Also Conan O'Brian.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    the odd thing: there's no clear successor in the wings ... as much as i like craig ferguson on the late late show, he's not the winner here.
    A few years back, I remember reading somewhere that CBS was contractually bound to give Letterman's slot to Craig Ferguson. In part, they didn't want to repeat the fiasco that happened when NBC secretly signed Leno to replace Carson, without talking to either Carson or Letterman first.

And if I'm recalling this correctly, keep in mind that Letterman's production company owns Ferguson's show. So, again, it's something that they'd be well aware of.

Now, if I'm not recalling this correctly, or if things have changed... could Conan replace Letterman? Is that something he can even contemplate, under his current contract with TBS?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Banned
    Northwest Arkansas (Ozark-St.Francis National Forest)

Letterman's repetitive shtick was getting old.
    How many times do we laugh when the same
    annoying message flashes across the screen?

Having said that, David is one of the most intelligent people on TV today.
    My favorite late evening host--except when he gets too damned silly.

Waiting to hear the Top Ten Reasons for him to change his mind (which I hope he does).

He could run for president--and win, but what sane person wants that job?

Steve Allen, Jack Parr, Johnny, David Letterman--who can possibly fill those shoes?
    Last edited by W9JEF; 04-04-2014 at 12:27 PM.

they're talking about stephen colbert (interesting, but kinda limiting for the material he's known to do) ... or tina fey (another interesting, but limiting since she's having success doing other things).
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I have not heard Asenio, or Sharon Osborn's names thrown out there yet. I remember being so pissed off at them for dumping Tom Snyder and the Tomorrow Show for a relative unknown Letterman.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger