Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: working qrp

Banned

working qrp

I am just getting into homebrew qrp, my question is how to cq in cw. should I call "de aa8kt/qrp aa8kt/qrp or just aa8kt/qrp aa8kt aa8kt or just call aa8kt ? Tnx fer advice

Peter AA8KT

Peter,

Welcome to the Island!

When I work low-power CW I usually send a 3x1 CQ and append my call with a /QRP.

Better to get a lot of short CQs out there with a call when running low power than one long one which may or may not be subject to fading or QRN.

Of course, YMMV. ;)
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    TNX. I like that better than what I suggested.

Banned
    Northwest Arkansas (Ozark-St.Francis National Forest)

I usually check into the Razorback Net
    (3987.5, nightly at 6:30 pm central time zone)
    with the Icom IC-706 cranked down to 5 watts.

On CW, I seek out weaker CQs in hope of working QRP stations.
    But I mostly run barefoot (100 watts) for any stateside QSO.

If you're QRP, best keep your transmissions short,
    so the other station can continue to hold the frequency.

Some say, that life is too short for QRP...
    but the problem may likely be too short an antenna. ;)
    Last edited by W9JEF; 03-13-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Banned
    To amend the question, for qrp operators out there. I am getting a 40meter Pixie tranceiver with a CW decoder and will be running a longwire. Is there anything else I need to get on the air??

Quote Originally Posted by AA8KT View Post
    To amend the question, for qrp operators out there. I am getting a 40meter Pixie tranceiver with a CW decoder and will be running a longwire. Is there anything else I need to get on the air??
    I'm assuming you have a key etc. You may want to think about a dipole or OCFD for the antenna since you are only using 40 meters. And, since you will be in the cw portion, an antenna tuner won't be necessary, as long as you "prune" the antenna to the right length. That way, you will have a better chance to maximize you signal by matching the antenna to the rig.

Whenever you are ready to get on the air for the first time to check out the station, make a post here. I'm sure several of us can be around to lend an ear to see if we can hear, and/or work you. Good luck with the project. Glad to see that cw is of interest to you.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AA8KT View Post
    A long wire is typically defined as 1WL or more at the operating frequency. In this case, that's at least 130 feet. What will you use for a counterpoise? What tuner do you plan on using?

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    You may want to think about a dipole or OCFD for the antenna since you are only using 40 meters. And, since you will be in the cw portion, an antenna tuner won't be necessary, as long as you "prune" the antenna to the right length. That way, you will have a better chance to maximize you signal by matching the antenna to the rig.
    This would be a better option.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Master Navigator
    I'd nix the longwire in favor of a dipole or an end-fed 1/2 wave. http://www.parelectronics.com/end-fedz.php You can make your own end fed - there are designs on the web.

Banned
    I live in an apartment so I can't run a dipole outside but can hide a longwire in the trees, or I can tie into the rain gutter that goes around all 4 sides of the building.
    Last edited by AA8KT; 03-13-2014 at 04:10 PM.