Thread: Olympics 2024—in San Diego?

Olympics 2024—in San Diego?

A group is putting together a bid. I can't imagine this city getting itself together well enough to pull it off but, if they did, this would at least be an ideal location climate-wise.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 03-03-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Would the people who trained in higher elevations accel, excel do well in San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Would the people who trained in higher elevations accel, excel do well in San Diego?
    Probably so. It would be like running in pure oxygen for them.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    This might be how they justify spending money on a new football stadium, although it is far in the future.

Make the Russians stay in El Cajon. Pat can run phone patches for them.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Judging by the information in some of the other threads, won't SD be under water by then?

I guess they can still do water polo and Australian Dick Wrestling.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by WU9G View Post
    This might be how they justify spending money on a new football stadium, although it is far in the future.
    I don't think it's being done specifically for that reason but it certainly could be one of the results. The exploratory committee says that there will be very little public money invested in this. I personally find that hard to believe but if it's true, then I'm okay with it even though it will make getting around town an even bigger PITA than it already is for two weeks.

Make the Russians stay in El Cajon. Pat can run phone patches for them.
    Dah, tovarisch. Russians feel at home on steppes of East County. Can fight mock battles with Chaldeans and Somalians.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I don't think it's being done specifically for that reason but it certainly could be one of the results. The exploratory committee says that there will be very little public money invested in this. I personally find that hard to believe but if it's true, then I'm okay with it even though it will make getting around town an even bigger PITA than it already is for two weeks.

Dah, tovarisch. Russians feel at home on steppes of East County. Can fight mock battles with Chaldeans and Somalians.
    The best thing that happened to NYC was not getting the 2012 Olympics. Every time the Olympics are held somewhere, there is a great loss of money building the venues.

The good part is that Volleyball would be coming back home where it more or less started. But I can't even remember the last time I watched the Olympics, so no biggee either way.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Banned
    Dan and I discussed this after reading a blog post with photos of old Olympic venues in various cities that are long unused and fallen into disrepair. If we're going to keep having Olympic games, the world needs to pick two places (Winter and Summer), make them neutral ground and use them for athlete training and for the games every four years. This craziness of spending billions on stadiums and such that often get used for three freakin' weeks and never used again is such a ridiculous waste.