Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question from a doctor friend about VHF HT's

Banned

Question from a doctor friend about VHF HT's

Hey guys, I figured I'd post this here as I don't use these radios and I know a lot of you do.

"Hi, Kelli!Just thought I'd ask you a quick ham question. Are you familiar with those small handheld UHF/VHF transceivers from China by companies like Baofeng? At our hospital, we communicate with EMS on frequencies like 155.235 and 155.340. We have radios that we share, but they're gigantic and heavy, and the sound is horrible. I thought it would be nice to get my own that could also serve as a scanner as well.- First, would I need a license to use one of these?- Is this the right gadget that I should be looking for? For example, one of the radios I saw on Ebay covers 136-174 & 400-470MHz. - Can I switch frequencies just by pressing the buttons on the radio itself, or do I need some kind of software to set it up?"

Are those rigs certificated by the FCC as Part 90 devices for the allocations on which your friend wishes to operate?

If not: He can use them for listening purposes only and not to transmit.

There are quite a few commercial (Icom/Kenwood/Motorola, etc) VHF HTs which have a smaller footprint and can be programmed for both VHF commercial allocations and ham radio usage, assuming the user is licensed for each service.

Anything else is asking for fines.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

A Baofeng will work. Programming them from the keypad is a nightmare and the software supplied by the OEM sucks Thousand-Year-Old Eggs but there's a free open source program called CHIRP that works like a champ. Tell your friend to by the $8 programming cable when he buys the radio and he'll be okay.

On Edit: They've been approved for Part 90 use.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 03-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Thanks guys.. Do you know if any of these radios have scanning capability?

Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    Thanks guys.. Do you know if any of these radios have scanning capability?
    The Baofeng UV-5R does, but it's slow.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Ever seen a fast Dr.?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Are those rigs certificated by the FCC as Part 90 devices for the allocations on which your friend wishes to operate?

If not: He can use them for listening purposes only and not to transmit.

There are quite a few commercial (Icom/Kenwood/Motorola, etc) VHF HTs which have a smaller footprint and can be programmed for both VHF commercial allocations and ham radio usage, assuming the user is licensed for each service.

Anything else is asking for fines.
    They are Part 90 certified for business bands, but not safety of life (AFAIK).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Part 90 is Part 90, the only "safety of life" certification they don't have is approval of the US Bureau of Mines, they're not explosion proof. OK, separating sarcasm from serious,"explosion proof" is an electrical certification meaning the case is gas tight which it's not.

Using an HT as a scanner can be a clumsy affair because the two devices are vastly different. A ham rig can't receive trunking systems and there are several types of them, or most digital audio formats and new ones come out every year. Scanner manufacturers have a hard time keeping up due to patents and they're WAY behind. The long and short of it is an HT makes one lousy scanner and even one Part 90 certified may not be compatible with Part 90 systems in use locally, so not knowing what's what in that neck of the woods I have to simply say no.

By that I mean yes to drugs, no to HTs. (;->)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

They are using HT's to talk to the EMS bringing people in? Here they have a "base" going though a repeater.

I also wonder what kind of rigs they are using now. Honestly if I was them I would pick up some good /\/\otorola's
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Ever seen a fast Dr.?
    I see what you did there...
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?