Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Launching over trees

Banned

Launching over trees

What do others use to launch support string for dipoles over trees? I am looking at ~60 foot trees at my new QTH. I'd like to get my 40M dipole up there. Slingshots? Bows and arrows? Something else?

I use an 8' spinning rod with open-faced reel and a plastic weight that probably weighs a couple of ounces. Easily goes up over my 50' tree. Being an infrequent fisherman since moving to SoCal, however, it usually takes me a couple of tries to put the line where I want it.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-28-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I've had the EZ Hang for a few years. The latest model is here: https://www.ezhang.com/index.php
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I use an 8' spinning rod with open-faced reel and a plastic weight that probably weighs a couple of ounces. Easily goes up over my 50' tree. Being an infrequent fisherman since moving to SoCal, however, it usually takes me a couple of tries to put the line where I want it.
    This. ^^ But with only one try. ROOKIE
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    This. ^^ But with only one try. ROOKIE
    How well do you do when you're in Minnesota? Why don't you go there and find out?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I built the CSVI9 Antenna Launcher Kit

It's a little overkill for your immediate uses, but I've shot lines over 90-100' trees with fairly low pressure.

And 30' trees with even less. Max is pushing 200'. Besides, it's fun as hell to use.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 02-28-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I built the CSVI9 Antenna Launcher Kit

It's a little overkill for your immediate uses, but I've shot lines over 90-100' trees with fairly low pressure.

And 30' trees with even less. Max is pushing 200'. Besides, it's fun as hell to use.
    Something about a mouse and elephant gun comes to mind....
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Something about a mouse and elephant gun comes to mind....
    That's why I like it.

There is only one way to do it. The way real men put up antennas. They climb the tree to the very top and hang the aerial.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
    That's why I like it.
    Agreed. Hell, when I used to go squirrel hunting, I always took my Weatherby .460 Magnum. Wouldn't do to have a wounded squirrel going rogue, you know.