Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple more classics

A couple more classics

Lots of 11M denizens love their various "export" model radios - or to operate amateur radio rigs on the band. I prefer the old-school/vintage - legal - way of doing things, as QRP is more challenging anyway.

One of the CB mags of the day used to run ads for various rigs. The TRS Challenger 1400 was one of them.

I looked for decades (not just years) for one of these. Also got the AM-only version - the 1200. The latter is going to get modded in that the 1st IF filter could be swapped from the OEM 2-pole MCF to a canned 8-pole type, thereby increasing adjacent channel rejection. What's interesting about the 1400 is that the IF filter is a variable-bandwidth type, as is used with the CPI series of radios. Those sets turned in some of the highest adjacent-channel rejection numbers ever recorded, but I don't have any figures for the TRS series available.

The receivers are very sensitive, comparing favorably to my high-end ham rigs.

When I have the 1400 on I'll be QSX on 38LSB.

56355ecfd74d7_360016b.jpg
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Kind of reminds me of my Tram D201 with the wooden panels.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Nicer looking than my Cobra 2000! Kewl.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Attachment 17412Attachment 17413

I only have old relics like these.
    I think I fixed it. No my pics but I have these and they still work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kb2crk; 01-26-2021 at 06:59 PM.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Hey, Paul. Try again with the pics. Sometimes you have to do the job twice.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    True, that.

Bites me a LOT when posting stuff cached locally.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post

Use the advanced editor, not the quick reply interface, to attach photos. It seems to minimize this 'feature'. I have never been able to get a handle on why this software does this. I preferred phpBB over vBulletin, but security was a major issue with phpBB.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Being a thermionic valve man in a vacuum tube country and a tube man in a transistorized world the chicken box that had the best selectivity was this Courier 1M. It was out of alignment when I received it, the transmitter was straightforward using standard third overtone 30pF crystals, but being the only triple conversion receiver and having an odd injection scheme I couldn't make sense of it. Then I got lucky, Gabor "Gabby" Incze the design engineer was a local CBer. He aligned it and showed me how, the receiver came to life. I used three communications receivers on 11M, two double conversion, none could hold a candle to the little Courier. Back then I had tubes up the wazoo (ouch) and they were cheap as dirt, today is a different story.

Courier 1M.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Here are 2 I have in the garage but They most likely wont work now.
    The lafayette was fun as you could split frequency with it.... two full receivers in one radio. was easy to add extra channels too but that was before my ham days
    Attached Images Attached Images

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Not a pic of mine, but I have two of these (dual RX; similar to the Lafayette setup):

96c72e7c15107db78d1dba90168e1126.jpg