Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FM on 11M

FM on 11M

So now that 11M (CB) is supposed to be going to allow FM phone in addition to AM, do you think this is a good idea or not? Will you look at 11M FM as something to check out? I am waiting to see if they make any CB radios with AM, FM, and SSB, also if they will allow an increase in wattage for output power. The 12W allowed on SSB, if allowed on FM phone could be interesting.

There are a whole lot of reasons put forth in the articles found online but the main reason was a business and financial reason by Corbra/Uniden to not have to make a separate line of radios, sans FM for the US market.
    They shmoozed and sweet talked the FCC, made their science points about truck drivers needing interference free communications from sunspot cycles and painted a beautiful picture for the government. Now radio manufacturers will save billions in operations costs and give Cobra/Uniden a little more level playing field competing against a large number of export radios already available.

There you have it. Cause and effect. I'd be more concerned about the FM mode turning CB into 2m repeaters. (budum tiss) I'll be here all week. Remember to tip the wait staff. They work for peanuts. No I mean literally they work for peanuts. The owner is a former circus elephant and he's too cheap to pay!

Imagine the heterodyne at the peak of the cycle, with AM & FM signals competing for the same few kc's on every channel. Yikes

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I think this will be a nothingburger.

People want to be LOUD on 11, and FM simply doesn't have that swang.

Many 11M-capable radios have had FM on their mode selectors since the late 80s, and apart from skip I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard the mode used - even by the scofflaw crowd.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by KF6HHH View Post
    I am waiting to see if they make any CB radios with AM, FM, and SSB
    Per my post above, there have been a ton of them on the market for several decades now.

also if they will allow an increase in wattage for output power. The 12W allowed on SSB, if allowed on FM phone could be interesting.
    4W carrier in all likelihood. No one thinks capture effect be like it is, but it do.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Only mode allowed in 1977 when it became legal, still used a lot in the EU next to AM/SSB.
    Lots of producers have ready to go "export" models with all mode including FM, that are easy to reconfigure to legal radio all mode.
    Quality of audio is very good, and FM can work as good as AM.
    No "swinging meter" though ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Adding FM to Ama Rican chicken band won't cause any more problems than chicken chokers have already created. But it should be fun hearing what signals will sound like with mindless golden screwdriver applications, and power mics cranked up to 11 31/32 where the knob snapped off with echo full on and roger beeps squealing like wounded pigs. Another interesting effect is them driving leenyars into Class C like they already do creating that lovely cheese grater sound and splatter, only imagine the overheating problems with a 100% duty cycle and pills glowing bright red. Yeah, this should be fun!

You're right about good sounding audio Cor, but that's with legal rigs operated properly, I've heard them. At the peak of the Y2K sunspot cycle I heard a couple of what I thought to be UK hams operating FM on 10M CB style. That's common here with groups of "10M CBers" operating USB, I'd occasionally join the Ocean County, NJ group and WA2V (SK) was a CB friend "Ramblin' Jack" when I was "Stereo". I switched to FM and lowered the modulation index to 1 (normally 1.5 above 30MHz) to keep it legal and joined them. What I didn't know was all three of us were operating illegally, they were CBers. English CB callsigns were/are extremely close to Amateur callsigns, and frankly it's ballsy using them out of band just asking for a visit by Ofcom.

It don't men a thing if it ain't got that swing, doo wah, doo wah, doo wah, doo wah. Heh, I drove them crazy when I put a Heathkit DX 60B normally a screen modulated transmitter with a simple mod for controlled carrier on CB just for shits and giggles. "Oh man, look at that upward modulation!!!"
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

If it does take off at all, I see users of the mode congregating at one or two spots on the band - much as the SSBers have done for decades. And as the FM users of 10M currently do.

Back in the 23Ch days, Ch16 was purported to be THE single sideband channel. In all my years of playing radio (over 50 and counting) I recall hearing ONE SSB conversation on the frequency - or on any channel apart from 35-40 after the 40Ch expansion took place. Everyone seeks their own little hangout and tends to remain there.
    Last edited by N8YX; 10-06-2021 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Grammar

I worked the New York repeater several times in FM 29.620 out.
    Most used mode on 2/70 though running SSB there as well including FT-8
    Even ran FM on 160 in our litte morning group, just because we can and for the heck of it.
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I worked the New York repeater several times in FM 29.620 out.
    Most used mode on 2/70 though running SSB there as well including FT-8
    Even ran FM on 160 in our litte morning group, just because we can and for the heck of it.
    Just reduce power to 50% and keep an eye on how hot thee transceiver gets.
    My FT991A has no problem there.