Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Getting Back Into CB

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    I just found this thread and honestly I can say I never really got out of it. 2 CB's in the shack both SBE. A motorola mocat 2020 in the mobile and an SBE Sidebander II waiting to go in the motorhome.
    They don't get much use but do come in handy in certain situations.
    I had a sidebander II back in the day. I used to DX the "Freeband", above channel 23. I pulled out one of the xtals and replaced it with an old Simpson signal generator. It was noticeably drifty.

The SBEs in the shack are also both 23 channel. One is a Trinidad and the other is a Console II. My first CB was a Trinidad.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Have any former CB'ers turned Ham's thought about getting back into CB ?
    No... been away from it for 40 years. Never been tempted to go back.

Oh yeah, Starduster. Works good on 10!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

I sure see a lot of qrz & eham bios referring to the ole venerable antron A-99. Guys just swearing by them.

I remember swearing AT them. Especially after getting a handful of fiberglass silvers grabbing onto one of the dumb things after it had been up a few years.

Yeah, stardusters......that goes back a ways!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

i bought a cheap CB radio intending to set it up and listen in ... it's still in the box. i'm so lazy ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I see no one in the US has 11 meters on their web SDR receivers. I thought that might have been an easier way to listen in without opening that box. Damn.

Just listen to any of 'those' frequencies on 75, 40 or 20 & get yer fix that way. Right?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Forum Addict
    I need to get a handheld one. A lot of OHV trails still use CB, and even if my range is only a quarter mile or so it might be useful if I break an axle and need to let the next vehicle ahead know what happened.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Here's how it worked, or didn't work for me back in the daze, make of it what you will. Two were given to me, I never bought one because they're just not what they're cracked up to be. The one with a telescopic whip was just too unwieldy and the one with a loaded whip was rather like a 2M HT with a rubber duck we call a rubber dummy load only worse. The long and short of it they just couldn't get out of my back yard quite literally, the closest station only a few blocks away said I was down in the mud. Since 5 watts is 5 watts they worked like any other rig on the base and mobile antennas.

"...it might be useful if I break an axle and need to let the next vehicle ahead know what happened."
    That depends on how far ahead that vehicle is, what sort of rig and antenna it has, what you're using for an antenna and how crowded the channel is. For my money I'd use just what I had in the mobubble, a through hole mounted base loaded whip, a plain Jane radio and a commercial dynamic hand held mic for better than crap "stock mic" audio. No useless bells and whistles on the radio, no roger beeps, gooney birds, echo mic or any of the other nonsense some are so fond of these days, CB is Communicating Band, not Children's Band... but I'd better stop here before I get into why I sold out and moved on.

Oh and by the way, if you break an axle it's nature's way of telling you you're doing it wrong, next time you may break your neck. (;->)
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 06-17-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    "...it might be useful if I break an axle and need to let the next vehicle ahead know what happened."
    That depends on how far ahead that vehicle is, what sort of rig and antenna it has, what you're using for an antenna and how crowded the channel is. For my money I'd use just what I had in the mobubble, a through hole mounted base loaded whip, a plain Jane radio and a commercial dynamic hand held mic for better than crap "stock mic" audio. No useless bells and whistles on the radio, no roger beeps, gooney birds, echo mic or any of the other nonsense some are so fond of these days, CB is Communicating Band, not Children's Band... but I'd better stop here before I get into why I sold out and moved on.

Oh and by the way, if you break an axle it's nature's way of telling you you're doing it wrong, next time you may break your neck. (;->)
    Yeah, I'm resisting the temptation to put antennas on this one for as long as I can. Maybe a 2M/440 whip on the bull bar. I had HF mobile for 10 years, and may have used it a handful of times...

Just means the road is starting to get interesting :yum:
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry