Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Back Into CB

Sometimes when I'm in the shack working digital modes with the AF turned all the way down I'll fire up my old Cobra Model 29 from my OTR trucker days and listen to the Mexican truck drivers waiting to cross the border. It's a good way to bone up on Spanish language profanity:

"Chinga tu madre!"

"Y tu padre tambien!"
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Sometimes when I'm in the shack working digital modes with the AF turned all the way down I'll fire up my old Cobra Model 29 from my OTR trucker days and listen to the Mexican truck drivers waiting to cross the border.
    Which channel do they use in the area, Carl?

I hear a huge amount of Spanish on Ch5 when the band is up and assume that's their equivalent of our Ch19.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Like many here I'm into radio, no matter what kind! I still CB on a regular basis. When I'm in the shack I always have the CB on and being within 1 mile of the 95 corridor and just south of DC, I get a lot of highway traffic from truckers and travelers. There are some pretty active local folks as well in the DC area and we have the occasional nice rag chew. It's great for shooting the breeze and not having to ID or worry about restrictions. I run legal gear, no amps, all stock. I have a 5/8 wave Wilson GP at 20ft on the end of the house that also doubles as my 10 antenna.

My current CB rig is a Midland 13-880 SSB 23 channel. That was the model I started out with back in the CB days and I just this year found another on on FleaBay. Great to have one back. Check it out on my "other" page. Also run a 40 channel Uniden mobile when I want the higher ones.

When I get rich I'll get another Tram 201 or a Stoner, but for now I'll make do.
    Heck, wish I'd known. I rolled up 95 from Ashland to Philly yesterday. I woulda gave a call

Quote Originally Posted by AF5TY View Post
    Heck, wish I'd known. I rolled up 95 from Ashland to Philly yesterday. I woulda gave a call
    I usually monitor 19 on the base and 35-40 on the ssb mobile after abt 6pm during the week. On off during the weekends. Yea if you come back through anytime give a shout and if you have time I'll buy ya a coffee and some pie. That goes for all here as well.

My cb handle is Shark. I used to be a shark fisherman back home in Florida.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

A zombie thread resurrected! But... Halloween was last week...

Ahem

Seriously, like many here, I am a radio enthusiast, not merely a ham. That said, though, I've just plain and simple never had an interest in CB. Not that, as Jerry Seinfeld would proclaim, there's anything wrong with that. It's just not for me.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I just found this thread and honestly I can say I never really got out of it. 2 CB's in the shack both SBE. A motorola mocat 2020 in the mobile and an SBE Sidebander II waiting to go in the motorhome.
    They don't get much use but do come in handy in certain situations.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

I do a lot of listening in the 24-30MHz region but that comes from being an SWL/Ute fan long before getting into two-way comms. The late 70s through the early 80s was a fun time to be involved with radio, and there were a lot of people to talk with on CB. You basically had three types of users: The business/SAR faction (including truckers and REACT), the technically oriented gang (SSBers, modders, DXers) and the socialites (jammers, working girls, channel hogs, "Casual Encounters" types and party animals included).

Most of the region's serious technical types have either moved into ham radio, given radio up altogether in favor of other pursuits, or - all too commonly - have gone SK. There's simply no one I want to talk to on the Class D allocation these days, even though the local scene remains somewhat active. Should the FCC ever relax the 155.1-mile limit I might play around with DXing on Ch35-40 but there's 10M for that. So...I keep the Pro-40 or the various CPI stuff parked on 38LSB and listen for area voices from years past.

When mobile, however, it's a different story altogether. Many of the motorcycle touring clubs have a favorite CB road channel and all four of my bikes are equipped with either OEM CBs or the J&M JMCB2003. They're particularly useful when in a large group ride and considerable separation exists between leader and drag riders.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Which channel do they use in the area, Carl?

I hear a huge amount of Spanish on Ch5 when the band is up and assume that's their equivalent of our Ch19.
    Sorry, I missed this until now. I usually find them on channel 10.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Sorry, I missed this until now. I usually find them on channel 10.
    Around here that's a 'Bowl backup channel. I'm probably not going to hear Ken Kenworthy or Felipe Freightliner over the various big strappas who fire up when things are rolling...although I've recently been hearing a LOT of Caribbean-area Superbowlers in the morning hours.