Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Back Into CB

Quote Originally Posted by N8OBM View Post
    Believe it or not we had a twice weekly net on 36 lsb till about a year ago. There were a number of hams that would check in as well as non hams. Everybody was well behaved. We would have a good rag chew. The fellow who ran it got too busy with work to keep it running. I'm hoping we can get it up and running again sometime in the future.
    I wonder if I can hear you and the area gang from Barberton, Archie. I'm usually QRV on 38LSB when in the shack.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Like N8YX I'm also a radio enthusiast. I enjoy all radio.
    I have a lot of fun on 11 meter SSB. Yes we get the occasional whacko but most of it is civil.
    It all has it's place.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by kc4umo View Post
    Like N8YX I'm also a radio enthusiast. I enjoy all radio.
    I have a lot of fun on 11 meter SSB. Yes we get the occasional whacko but most of it is civil.
    It all has it's place.
    Do you also play on FRS? It's kinda fun messing with the kids playing "soldier" lol
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Do you also play on FRS? It's kinda fun messing with the kids playing "soldier" lol
    oh that is fun.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Around here is sort of dead. At least when I was looking into it. Have not tried it out in a while so may be different.
    As of late I get little time to talk on radio. Most of the time I am on the repair bench working on vintage stuff.
    Also atm I am trying to learn more about pic programming. I have this idea to add a DDS VFO to and old Siltronix 1011C and maybe a FT-101. A friend of mine was teaching me this a little at a time. Then he passed away. Now I have all these boards he sent me, and no schematics of his design. So I have to restart it all.

Coconut King
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I wonder if I can hear you and the area gang from Barberton, Archie. I'm usually QRV on 38LSB when in the shack.
    It's unlikely as I 'm not anywhere near Barberton. My evil twin brother lives in Akron but, I'm about 450 miles from there near the Vermont border in NY state. You would only be likely to hear me on 11 meters if we had some short hop E layer action. That said we did hear A similar net from Nova Scotia start up as we were winding down.

Archie N8OBM

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

Mind you, this was back in the days where the average 11M operator was running one of three classes of equipment: An older crystal-controlled transceiver such as a Browning Mark III or Tram D201 in conjunction with an external VFO, an early generation synthesized transceiver (23 or 40CH) or some model of ham transceiver. Of the latter, the most popular set by far was the FT-101 series and the Drake TR7 brought up a close second...though other amateur equipment was heard 'round the band at times.
    Including a Johnson Desk Kilowatt in Brooklyn.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I've got back into 11 meters since last March. Very useful mobile.
    I built an 11m dipole that I hung up in the trees at about 60 feet. Took my old 1982 Cobra 148 to the local guru in Greenville who's been around in his well established shop since the 60s. This is a 4 watt +/- radio. The antenna configured itself in an inverted V and is aligned East/West.

Today I made a contact.

Southern France. The contact's name was Jean Luc.

Armchair copy.

Afterwards I enjoyed a cup of General Foods international coffee while reminiscing.

Like many here I'm into radio, no matter what kind! I still CB on a regular basis. When I'm in the shack I always have the CB on and being within 1 mile of the 95 corridor and just south of DC, I get a lot of highway traffic from truckers and travelers. There are some pretty active local folks as well in the DC area and we have the occasional nice rag chew. It's great for shooting the breeze and not having to ID or worry about restrictions. I run legal gear, no amps, all stock. I have a 5/8 wave Wilson GP at 20ft on the end of the house that also doubles as my 10 antenna.

My current CB rig is a Midland 13-880 SSB 23 channel. That was the model I started out with back in the CB days and I just this year found another on on FleaBay. Great to have one back. Check it out on my "other" page. Also run a 40 channel Uniden mobile when I want the higher ones.

When I get rich I'll get another Tram 201 or a Stoner, but for now I'll make do.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"