Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Back Into CB

Naaa.....
    I bailed in the 70s sometime and haven't looked back, no interest. I haven't seen a CB antenna save one on a pickup at the inlet last summer, a Wilson K-40. Not what you think, one of these guys gone fishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

i bought a cheap CB a few months ago but haven't been motivated to get it out of the box and going.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Well, if I want I could tune my receiver round the 11 meter portion of the band and fire up the old Johnson Viking 2 on ii meters. Of course it would be over the legal limit of power but it would work quite well. Those Vikings will tune up continually just about anywhere from the upper end of the MW AM Bcast band right on up through 30 mc. The thing is that I hear very little CB activity in the area anymore. Outside of "da bowl" and truckers and a few Spanish speaking stations in The Bronx there isn't much else out there anymore.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Yeah, if you want, yeah, uh huh. Is that what you used to talk to Artie Windjammer on 21? This is what I used... he he heh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Yeah, if you want, yeah, uh huh. Is that what you used to talk to Artie Windjammer on 21? This is what I used... he he heh.
    I used to talk to him later on when most of the Brooklyn crowd moved down to 27.135 (channel 15).
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Last edited by koØm; 11-18-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Tiki Bearer
    Quote Originally Posted by N2NKW View Post
    I use CB just about every day as my job pretty much demands it. It's been years since I viewed CB as a hobby though.

Back in the late 80's I used to live in Central NY and there were a whole bunch of us that used to get on from around 9pm to as late as 2-3 in the morning. We formed a club called "Catskill Transmitters" and used ch34 as the club freq. At our peak I think we had a roster of around 90 if memory serves. Not too many of them are still around anymore. A lot of them have passed on. Our coverage area was from about East Worcester NY to Sydney NY and running north almost to Utica and south to around Delhi NY. We had quite a few from Cooperstown and other small burgs all over that area. There are quite a few that actually got into ham radio although you could never get them to admit now that they were on CB BEFORE the were hams....lol

We had a small hardcore group that used to freeband almost all the time. I was hardly ever in that group though. I had the radio for it though.

Had a Galaxy Saturn that actually helped me get interested in Ham Radio. I used to listen to CW and try to figure it out but never was very good at it. During the 5 years or so I was really into CB, I had the Galaxy Saturn, Cobra 2000, Cobra 142gtl, 148gtl mobile, President Grant and other assorted lower quality radio's. I had a Johnson Messeger at one point as well. All the radios were all mic'd with D-104 lollipop mics.

As to getting back into it now? I doubt I would ever get back into it as a hobbyist. All my friends are mostly gone or moved away. I dont live up in NY anymore and where I live now is mostly dead for CB. It's gone to me now and I could never go back.
    Some of the folks from Utica may still be around (I may know some of them). Lots (that are left) became snow birds and live in FL now.

Coconut King
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I do from time to time, my Johnson Messenger 352 is a good radio.

Just a 23 channel, but I do catch some SSB anyway.

There's some reasonably sane local AM ragchews in the Denver area.
    There are two versions of this radio. The 352 and the 352D. The 352D is a better radio and used a PLL rather than an Xtal synth. It's almost the same thing as the Johnson 4740 which is what I use when I go on 11 meters. In fact If you can find the channel switch from a 4740 and put it in the 352D you then have a 40 channel radio as both used the same PLL. The next town over has a bunch of the usual foolishness on channel 15 and sometimes on channel 35. By foolishness I mean big amps and noise toys. Believe it or not we had a twice weekly net on 36 lsb till about a year ago. There were a number of hams that would check in as well as non hams. Everybody was well behaved. We would have a good rag chew. The fellow who ran it got too busy with work to keep it running. I'm hoping we can get it up and running again sometime in the future.

Like all radio services, There are good operators and not so good operators. It's more fun to talk to the good operators.

Archie N8OBM

BTW I was at a tag sale last summer and I saw a Palomar dx350hd amp. It was $30. I bought it to keep it off the air. Better it should gather dust than splatter though out the land. Maybe someday I'll build a filter and use it on 10 meter at rather less than the claimed 350 watts. It likely wouldn't be a bad amp at 100 to 150 watts PEP WITH the proper filtering. I might be a good match for my old HTX10. Just a thought........

Would not say so much "getting back into it" as enjoying a listen now and then. It's pretty dead, but living near a freeway I catch the occasional motorist.

Yes, it's an un-modified "D" version. I've had the directions to "mod" it for so long, I forget what drive/directory I stashed it in. ;)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman