Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Baseball Season Begins Tomorrow

2014 Baseball Season Begins Tomorrow

Yep, Catchers and Pitchers report. First game in about a week and a half. Thinking of rooting for the Dodgers this year. Technically I'm out of the Yankees sphere of influence. I'm more than a little sick of how they only make token trades to appease the fan base rather than to actually fill in their needs. Be interesting to see National League baseball again after 16 years of AL baseball.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Be interesting to see National League baseball again after 16 years of AL baseball.
    No DH, i.e. it's real baseball.

I'm still a Padres fan, although I could not explain why. It's certainly not the the expensive new(ish) ballpark, which is why I can no longer afford to attend games. When they were still playing at Jack Murphy Stadium, the best seats in the house cost $35. Now, that much will barely get you a spot in the bleachers.

Last edited by NQ6U; 02-14-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: DH, not DL. Duh.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    No DH, i.e. it's real baseball.

I'm still a Padres fan, although I could not explain why. It's certainly not the the expensive new(ish) ballpark, which is why I can no longer afford to attend games. When they were still playing at Jack Murphy Stadium, the best seats in the house cost $35. Now, that much will barely get you a spot in the bleachers.

That's the way it is here, too. Used to be, you could catch a game, have a dog and beer, maybe even some peanuts and not be out much. For the same price to do that today, you can just about do a two week cruise in the Caribbean.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Yep, Catchers and Pitchers report. First game in about a week and a half. Thinking of rooting for the Dodgers this year. Technically I'm out of the Yankees sphere of influence. I'm more than a little sick of how they only make token trades to appease the fan base rather than to actually fill in their needs. Be interesting to see National League baseball again after 16 years of AL baseball.
    Catchers & Pitchers for the Pirates reported on Wednesday and started practicing yesterday.

Without AJ Burnett. I don't wish the man ill, but I think he may regret signing with the Phillies. If he thought the fans in the Bronx were brutal... but, anyway, it's done and over with.

Anyway, when they showed Gerrit Cole throwing on the mound during the 11 PM news last night, you should have seen the smile on Little Miss Field Day's face.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Well the Yanks got themselves a "super" Japanese league pitcher. Texiera is back and Jeter's hanging up the spikes. I think some of that is to take the A-Rod situation out of the picture.

I'll take a wait and see attitude. I'm a hairs-breath from jumping to the Dodgers or Angels right now. I have just as much of a chance of catching a game at Chavez Ravine as I am at the Bronx Zoo.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Only one more day until the Padres' first game loss of the season.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Only one more day until the Padres' first game loss of the season.
    That's what I like.

Optimism.

Or in this case... realism.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Banned
    The Cincinnati Pinkies (ok the Reds, but they play like they wear lace on their shorts) open on Mon. The good thing is that the owners no longer is a drunk Nazi by the name of Marge Schott.

The Dodgers are in First and have a one game lead. BTW, their home opener tomorrow is at San Diego.

dodgers logo.jpg
    --Philip K. Dick

The Dodgers are in First and have a one game lead. BTW, their home opener tomorrow is at San Diego.

dodgers logo.jpg
    How can a Dodgers game be the home opener if it's in San Diego? Petco Park is 100+ miles from Chavez Ravine.