View Poll Results: Should the NFL make rules in regards to extreme cold weather?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, snowfall exceeding 1"/hr, cold 0ºF and below, any amount of freezing rain, ice on field

1 7.69%
  • Yes; any accumulating snowfall, ice on field, freezing rain at any temperature 32ºF or below

1 7.69%
  • Only in cases of declared winter weather warnings by NOAA and/or local authorities

4 30.77%
  • NO!

7 53.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Time...

Is It Time...

In light of the forecast WX conditions in Green Bay for today's Wild Card game between Green Bay and the SF 49ers (forecast to be 0º F at kickoff..falling to around -10º)...

Is it time for the NFL to implement a "Ice Bowl" rule to require postponement and/or moving of NFL games for extreme cold and/or frozen precipitation of any kind?? Thoughts always welcomed.
    Last edited by W7XF; 01-05-2014 at 08:19 AM.
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

My response is multi-point:

postponement/relocation in heavier snowfall, freezing rain, icy conditions, or sub-zero temps.
    AND
    an NFL ultimatum for all teams in the Snow Belt to build domed stadiums.
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

When the officials can't blow their whistles cause their peas per frozen, well that's just that's damn too cold.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by W7XF View Post
    My response is multi-point:

postponement/relocation in heavier snowfall, freezing rain, icy conditions, or sub-zero temps.
    AND
    an NFL ultimatum for all teams in the Snow Belt to build domed stadiums.
    If it's as crappy in Wisconsin as it is here, I would stay home.

It's about 19 F and with the blowing snow feels like 12 below.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

NO! Football is a winter game. High Tech Underwear. Electric socks and vests for the fans.

Dress for it, Dammit.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned
    Northwest Arkansas (Ozark-St.Francis National Forest)
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    NO! Football is a winter game. High Tech Underwear. Electric socks and vests for the fans.

Dress for it, Dammit.
    What he said.

My brother and I witnessed the original Ice Bowl, a 1963 playoff at Lambeau,

where the Packers beat the old Baltimore Colts. Temp of around 10F below.

I wore multiple layers, 3 pair of socks w/foil to reflect the body heat.

And a flask of blackberry brandy antifreeze. :)

Here in NW Arkansas, it's a balmy 20 degrees with falling snow (2" so far).
    Last edited by W9JEF; 01-05-2014 at 01:27 PM.

If the fans can't GET to the game ...
    In the case of Wisconsin, snow removal is not what it used to be before Walker came to office as governor.
    Suddenly because he is in office there is no money for keeping the roads clear in THE state that had one of the best reputations of making sure that life went on even when the snow got deep.

The job they do now is mediocre as they may run the plows through at a fractional percentage compare to pre-Walker times.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    If the fans can't GET to the game ...
    In the case of Wisconsin, snow removal is not what it used to be before Walker came to office as governor.
    Suddenly because he is in office there is no money for keeping the roads clear in THE state that had one of the best reputations of making sure that life went on even when the snow got deep.

The job they do now is mediocre as they may run the plows through at a fractional percentage compare to pre-Walker times.
    The people have spoken. They had a chance to kick his ass out, and refused to. So, you gets what you asks for.

As far as the game? Heck no. Football was made to be played in snow and cold. It's all part of the game. If a team complains, they're being wussies.

Case in point:
    The 1967 National Football League Championship Game between the Western Conference champion Green Bay Packers and the Eastern Conference champion Dallas Cowboys was the 35th championship game in NFL history. The game was held at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin on December 31, 1967. The winner of the game would meet the champion of the American Football League in Super Bowl II. Because of the adverse conditions in which the game was played, and its dramatic climax, it has been immortalized as the Ice Bowl (though it was not a Super Bowl) and is considered one of the greatest games in NFL history.
    On the weather...

Weather

Dubbed by the sports media as "The Ice Bowl", the game-time temperature at Lambeau Field was about −15 °F (−26 °C), with an average wind chill around −48 °F (−44 °C); under the revised National Weather Service wind chill index implemented in 2001, the average wind chill would have been −36 °F (−38 °C). [28] Lambeau Field's turf-heating system malfunctioned, and when the tarpaulin was removed from the field before the game, it left moisture on the field, which flash-froze in the extreme cold, leaving an icy surface that got worse as more and more of the field fell into the shadow of the stadium.[29] The heating system, made by General Electric, cost $80,000 and was bought from the nephew of George Halas, George Halas Jr.[citation needed] On the sidelines before the game, some Dallas players believed that Lombardi had purposely removed power to the heating coils.[30] The heating system would eventually be given the moniker Lombardi's Folly.[citation needed] The prior convention to prevent the football field from icing up was to cover the field with dozens of tons of hay.[31]

The University of Wisconsin–La Crosse (then Wisconsin State University–La Crosse) Marching Chiefs band were scheduled to perform the pre-game and half-time shows. However, during warm-ups in the brutal cold, the woodwind instruments froze and would not play; the mouthpieces of brass instruments got stuck to the players' lips; and seven members of the band were transported to local hospitals for hypothermia. The band's further performances were canceled for the day.[citation needed] During the game, an elderly spectator in the stands died from exposure. [32]

Prior to the game, many of the Green Bay players were unable to start their cars in the freezing weather, forcing them to make alternate travel arrangements to make it to the stadium on time. Linebacker Dave Robinson had to flag down a random passing motorist for a ride. The referees for the game found they did not have sufficient clothing for the cold, and had to make an early trip to a sporting goods store for earmuffs, heavy gloves, and thermal underwear.[33] Packers quarterback Bart Starr attended an early church service with his father, who had visited for the game, and as Starr later said, "It was so cold that neither of us talked about it. Nobody wanted to bring it up."

The officials were unable to use their whistles after the opening kick-off. As referee Norm Schachter blew his metal whistle to signal the start of play, it froze to his lips. As he attempted to free the whistle from his lips, the skin ripped off and his lips began to bleed. The conditions were so hostile that instead of forming a scab, the blood simply froze to his lip. For the rest of the game, the officials used voice commands and calls to end plays and officiate the game. At one point during the game, CBS announcer Frank Gifford said on air, "I'm going to take a bite of my coffee."
    The Ice Bowl (1967) Cowboys vs. Packers.

This is why I used to play Baseball, Soccer and Cricket instead of Football.
    Last edited by N2NH; 01-05-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I can't answer the poll because my opinion is not included. I've seen games in snow, no problem. What IS a problem, extreme low temperatures. It's well known that exposure causes frostbite and numbness of the affected areas. Numb hands fumble the ball and it causes among other things, drowsiness, disorientation and confusion which obviously hamper play, so I wouldn't call it a fair game. It could be interesting, call it the Zombie Bowl.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Orca Whisperer
    Being a Buffalo person, I would say: Only in the case of NOAA weather alerts, which I believe, while there is no rule, if there's a driving ban, games are canceled.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com