Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone thought of this?

Has anyone thought of this?

It's 2 folded dipoles and 3 baluns. The lower folded dipole connects to both baluns with no short across the balun but like a folded dipole it is connected on the ends of the ladder or window line.
    Has anyone thought of this? What's wrong with it?

I'm not good with computer modeling of antennas but I suspect that impedance matching issues might present a problem. Only way to know for sure is to either model it with EZNEC or build the thing and hook it up to an antenna analyzer to see what you get.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'm not good with computer modeling of antennas but I suspect that impedance matching issues might present a problem. Only way to know for sure is to either model it with EZNEC or build the thing and hook it up to an antenna analyzer to see what you get.
    Well let's just say that the impedances all match up and we're using the proper baluns.

What's the distance in fractions of a wavelength of the cable between the two antennas?
    Last edited by NQ6U; 11-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

What's the distance in fractions of a wavelength of the cable between the two antennas?
    50 feet but that shouldn't matter since the top will be perpendicular with the bottom.

Doing some research now....

One thing that occurs to me is that the characteristic impedance of a half-wave folded dipole is roughly 280 ohms, so if you use 300 ohm twin lead, you could lose two the the three baluns.

Doing some research now....

One thing that occurs to me is that the characteristic impedance of a half-wave folded dipole is roughly 280 ohms, so if you use 300 ohm twin lead, you could lose two the the three baluns.
    Wouldn't depend on what kind you used?
    3:1/4:1/6:1 ???

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Wouldn't depend on what kind you used?
    3:1/4:1/6:1 ???
    I don't understand that. What I'm saying is that the characteristic impedance of the two folded dipoles is close enough to that of twin lead that you can do away with two of the baluns and 50 feet of coax, reducing weight, cost and complexity. When it comes to building antennas, I'm for all those things.

I don't understand that. What I'm saying is that the characteristic impedance of the two folded dipoles is close enough to that of twin lead that you can do away with two of the baluns and 50 feet of coax, reducing weight, cost and complexity. When it comes to building antennas, I'm for all those things.
    Well now you're just raining on my parade.

Is this a fractal design?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL