Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And yet another...2 meter GS-31B..

And yet another...2 meter GS-31B..

I had just delivered the last GS-31B 6 meter amplifier to it's new owner and I received mail from VK4 requesting a 2 meter unit..I collected the aluminum panels a week ago and started this new project last Monday..

This is pretty much after the same design as my last 2 meter GS-31B amp..The aluminum panels in this amp are anodised grey satin finish so I had to carefully remove the anodising from all metal to metal joins and earthing points so that the chassis was bonded together as a common ground...This was especially important around the RF deck...I used a high speed wire wheel to remove the anodising along all the joins down to bare aluminum, carefully, as I didn't want to disfigure the interior of the case...Using 12mm aluminum angle I re assembled the case and it looks pretty good..

The RF deck uses a 1/4 wavelength plate line grounded at the cold end...The Plate blocking capacitor is a 10kv/20kva doorknob 200pf...Hopefully the DC will never find it's way through that capacitor..

Plate tuning uses a grounded cam operated Flapper at the hot end of the Plate line and the Loading consists of a wire loop with a series to ground 20pf variable capacitor the other end goes to the output relay..

The Cathode circuit is simple, a tunable T network and can be adjusted from the back of the amplifier..

The front sub panel has a simple resistor relay step start for the high tension transformer..The tube bias setup uses a W4ZT designed board adjustable from the front panel and all the bias wiring, cutoff resistor/relay also on the sub panel..

I am about to wire in the front panel and will show further construction pics as I progress...I am held up waiting for a new batch of HT transformers and electrolytic capacitors but expect them soon..

Enjoy....Bob..VK3ZL..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look at the bottom pic and disregard the concept of scale.
    Now what are you looking at?
    Interior back panel of a ___________________ .

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Look at the bottom pic and disregard the concept of scale.
    Now what are you looking at?
    Interior back panel of a ___________________ .

Is this a bit better Charles....

Bob..VK3ZL..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look at the last 6 meter thread I posted and you will find pics etc for the rest of this amplifier...Getting brain dead in my dotage...Sorry..

Bob..VK3ZL..

Beautiful work, as usual.

Nothing braindead at that work and design ;) nice as ever.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Gorgeous work.

I'm sure that shipping costs would make sending one of these amps stateside prohibitively expensive... *sigh*
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by VK3ZL View Post
    Is this a bit better Charles....

Bob..VK3ZL..
    I meant it looked like a sub station panel at a couple of places I've seen. One of them being a bubble extrusion plant.

very nice work real ART

Quote Originally Posted by kk4rsv View Post
    very nice work real ART
    He's a showoff, don't encourage him.

Just kidding, you're right. And welcome to the Island.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.