Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun with a GoPro 3

Fun with a GoPro 3

Picked one of the Hero 3 units up last week - something to compete with the VX-7R for handlebar space. While batteries may be included, the mount...SD card...and a bunch of other things to make the camera actually usable in an outdoor setting weren't.

Nothing that a trip to a couple local Bestbuy stores didn't fix, though.

We did one of our favorite 40mi rides on Sunday and I videoed the return half...some of it at night. Gonna do another night ride into Akron and back tonight and video the event.

Anyone else own one? Thoughts on them?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Those things are great for anyone on the road on 2 wheels. It has made the difference in quite a few cases that went to court.

Orca Whisperer
    A guy at work uses one for all his mountain biking. He likes it, and it's produced quite a few videos that were worth watching.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Ski good, or eat wood!

http://youtu.be/IEOK4hGzxwo

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Forum Addict
    I think they're extremely cool.

Unfortunately, I run and lift weights - two of probably the most boring physical pursuits you could choose to watch from my perspective :D
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

> We did one of our favorite 40mi rides on Sunday and I videoed the return half...some of it at night.

How did the night footage turn out?

I picked one up a month or so ago. Got some great footage of lane splitting and car dodging.. lol..

I saw a blurb on the next gen, supposedly going to be able to so 4k at a decent frame rate. (They do 4k @ 15fps now) Even though that's no good for motion, you can do some nice imagery with it.
    Made me want to run out and get a monitor capable of that. Til I saw the prices..
    I've accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next crap could spell disaster.

Forum Addict
    And to stream 4K, you're looking at going beyond what copper can do ;)
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    And to stream 4K, you're looking at going beyond what copper can do ;)
    Raw yes, Couple years go we got streamable d-cinema stuff. but yeah, awhile before it goes out on youbube..

But it definitely give you a fuckton of editing room.
    I've accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next crap could spell disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by kf6rdn View Post
    How did the night footage turn out?
    Low-light stuff wasn't too bad - but no-light/almost dark sections faded to black a lot faster than my eyes did. The return leg saw me switch on the dynamo headlight; the beam spot immediately ahead of the bike was captured well but further up the trail it wasn't.

Still, a decent camera for the money.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    The cost of the camera isn't bad. But they do get you on the accessories. That thing has more accessories available to it then the proverbial "little black dress". I think you can run up a bigger bill then a DLSR with assorted lenses.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 10-18-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?