Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NASA Needs Hams!

NASA Needs Hams!

NASA's Juno spacecraft will fly past Earth on October 9, 2013 to receive a gravity assist from our planet, putting it on course for Jupiter. To celebrate this event, the Juno mission is inviting amateur radio operators around the world to say "HI" to Juno in a coordinated Morse Code message. Juno's radio & plasma wave experiment, called Waves, should be able to detect the message if enough people participate. So please join in, and help spread the word to fellow amateur radio enthusiasts!

Get the details here.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Forum Addict
    Coordinated? Hams? Lulz.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The WAVES experiment is interesting - looks like they're attempting to quantify the Jovian decametric emissions and want a calibration signal set of know amplitude ranges in order to determine real-world system gain and linearity.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    The WAVES experiment is interesting - looks like they're attempting to quantify the Jovian decametric emissions and want a calibration signal set of know amplitude ranges in order to determine real-world system gain and linearity.
    Sure that's what they want you to think, but I think it's a plot by that evil organization called 10-10(?) to take over the airways.

On a good note however, it might give me a reason to get one of them watcha'ma call em "bugs" "finger tappers", you know that thing where you let your finger do the talking. I guess I could learn that much Morse code in a month. HI and my call sign?
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 09-04-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Sure that's what they want you to think, but I think it's a plot by that evil organization called 10-10(?) to take over the airways.

On a good note however, it might give me a reason to get one of them watcha'ma call em "bugs" "finger tappers", you know that thing where you let your finger do the talking. I guess I could learn that much Morse code in a month. HI and my call sign?
    You're partially right, the plot and evil part are right on. What this is, is an attempt to get as much RF into the craft, which will then be focused into a single beam of energy that will have enough power to get to Jupiter. There, it will be received and processed by the Jupitarians, and used as a signal source to guide them to our planet where they will assume earthlike qualities and identities. They will then infiltrate all of our command and control infrastructures, with the goal of enslaving all of us and trying to control our minds and our lives. Kind of like Bloomberg does in NYC.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Conch Master
    I think I can handle 1/25 word per minute. But is 30 secs key down a dit or a duh?
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

A pre-recorded WAV file with 1Khz narrow tones will do the trick with PowerSDR on my Flex 3000.

It can certainly handle the duty cycle. Yea, that's the ticket. I think. Need to test it out.

The “HI” message will be transmitted in Morse code with a dit (or key-down) time of 30 seconds. Sending HI at 1/25th word per minute works out to six 30 second key down intervals in 10 minutes. Participants may transmit for the full 2 hour, 40 minute duration of the activity, or just part of it. See the sketch of the message.
    Wish it was going over NA, and I don't have a beam.

But it's worth a try...
    Last edited by WØTKX; 09-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Conch Master
    OK this is cool. I could get into Radio Astronomy. Is this related to to the Juno Wave experiment?

http://www.spaceacademy.net.au/space...rad/jovrad.htm
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Bump.

This happens tomorrow afternoon. Be there or be square.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

"NASA Needs Hams!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Needs_Women

"There, it will be received and processed by the Jupitarians, and used as a signal source to guide them to our planet where they will assume earthlike qualities and identities. They will then infiltrate all of our command and control infrastructures, with the goal of enslaving all of us and trying to control our minds and our lives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Marri...om_Outer_Space
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.