Thread: 6 Meter Ground Planes & J-Poles

6 Meter Ground Planes & J-Poles

Out of idle curiousity, anyone have any experience(s) with a 6 Meter Ground Plane or a 6 Meter J-Pole?

They're two of several alternatives I'm considering for a quick-and-dirty temporary 6 Meter antenna.

“Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Re: 6 Meter Ground Planes & J-Poles

i have a cushcraft ringo r6 that i use for both fm and ssb and it does a fantastic job for me on fm and i find when the the band is open is also does an excellent job on ssb i have made hundreds of contacts and it fits in a lot smaller space than a beam.
    i think you would be happy with it.

I've used both for SSB, AM (!) and FM on 6M and they do OK but for that level of effort and materials I like the "L" antenna (1/4wl horozonal and 1/4wl vertical element, 50 ohms fed at corner) it is a diversity antenna and allows ground wave with either polarization and some resistance to fading. Rob
    10 watts, a wire and an attitude-At least there is symmetry!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN
    Out of idle curiousity, anyone have any experience(s) with a 6 Meter Ground Plane or a 6 Meter J-Pole?

They're two of several alternatives I'm considering for a quick-and-dirty temporary 6 Meter antenna.

Here's my junk parts 6m ground plane -
    http://www.digitalcartography.com/n0eq/umbrella.htm

It works great for range on FM. I've never done any 6m SSB
    so I can't comment on that aspect of a GP.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

http://www.n0eq.com

I built both antennas and I had a lot better results with the ground plane. I made both the GP and the J-pole from 1/2 inch copper tubing. The radials for the ground plane were set at a 45 degree angle then all I did was make a slider for the top of the antenna and adjusted it for best SWR. It tuned up easy and worked as well as the J-pole. Which by the way was a pain in the arse....
    We never had weather like this before they started messing around with that internet stuff.