Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Noise

Orca Whisperer

HF Noise

So, I just moved my antenna (Due to moving my shack, don't ask), from the back of my house, to the side.

While, it's been a few months since I've had my HF rig on (Life being what it is), I just got it all going today.

And, DAMN. RFI.

It's a noise from 40 meters to 10 meters, at about 1 beat per second, and crosses the entire band. And, like S9 across the whole thing.

So far, I've ruled two rooms out in the house, but what should I be looking for as a source? I know generally certain items sound the same. If an audio clip helps, I can get that.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

You didn't, by chance, end up closer to a plasma tv? What if you temporarily take it back where it was and see if the noise is gone?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    You didn't, by chance, end up closer to a plasma tv? What if you temporarily take it back where it was and see if the noise is gone?
    I don't think so, but at this point, I'm assuming it's external to my QTH... It doesn't sound like a Plasma TV (According to ARRL samples), but I could be wrong. I suppose I could try that in the morning (Moving the antenna back).

First thing to do: Put the radio on battery power and kill the main breaker. If the problem goes away, then the issue is in the house. Be sure to disable any UPS you have first.

Do you have anything that can RX at 6m in AM or SSB modes?
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    First thing to do: Put the radio on battery power and kill the main breaker. If the problem goes away, then the issue is in the house. Be sure to disable any UPS you have first.

Do you have anything that can RX at 6m in AM or SSB modes?
    Unfortunately, no 6M RX (Unless TV counts). I am however, going to kill the main breaker in the morning, however, I don't think it's interlal. My troubleshooting spideysense thinks it's the new neighbors.

But, that's a reason to meet them :)

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Unfortunately, no 6M RX (Unless TV counts). I am however, going to kill the main breaker in the morning, however, I don't think it's interlal. My troubleshooting spideysense thinks it's the new neighbors.

But, that's a reason to meet them :)
    They don't ride motorcycles, do they? Cue TZ music.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Does the rf meter move with the one beat per second 'tick'? My daughter had a rock polisher that introduced a slow tick noise in the line. I was unaware of it's presence until I fired up the rig.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Discharge threshold for some sort of HV device as it reaches breakdown? Arcing transformer? Electric fence charger or bug zapper? I can think of a number of devices which would do this.

As Jim suggested, eliminate your house as a source first. Next, get a handheld AM radio with a loopstick antenna - which is somewhat directional - then go hunting.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    They don't ride motorcycles, do they? Cue TZ music.
    They do... And wear leather jackets...

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    Does the rf meter move with the one beat per second 'tick'? My daughter had a rock polisher that introduced a slow tick noise in the line. I was unaware of it's presence until I fired up the rig.
    It does, actually. No rock polisher, but that's the line I was thinking: A slow motor (Like a ceiling fan, or dryer).

Some heaters do that, water and house. Other appliances as well.

Do you have an HT with wideband RX thru the shortwave and VHF bands?

I've used my VX-5 to find noise sources in AM mode...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman