Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HF Noise

Just to clarify, a 60Hz synchronous motor turns at 2400 RPM and if it's used in a mechanical timer or clock it's usually with a gear train in a sealed unit with the output shaft turning at 1 RPM. As such the likelihood of one producing RF hash is nil, I wouldn't discount any cam switches it may be driving however. The possibilities are endless and diagnosis by remote control impossible, you could be bantering this about forever. The only solution is good old fashioned hands on detective work, process of elimination. Get out of the bathroom, that's NOT what I meant!

Just remember that many devices stay on when switched off so the way to be sure it's completely powered down is to pull the plug and wait at least a minute for a big electrolytic to discharge. That's by design so momentary power glitches don't upset the apple cart. That made me think, I have a VCR that keeps time for forever and a day, the internal clock must have one hell of a big cap in it.

"A conundrum, indeed, I shall ponder it further."
    A conundrum, indeed, I shall grok it further. There, all fixed. Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed, as part of the offending device you will gain knowledge as to how to fix it. Then if all else fails you can eat it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Start reading the FCC enforcement actions and you'll see that you don't know what you're talking about.

Gee, that's a shock
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Just to clarify, a 60Hz synchronous motor turns at 2400 RPM and if it's used in a mechanical timer or clock it's usually with a gear train in a sealed unit with the output shaft turning at 1 RPM. As such the likelihood of one producing RF hash is nil, I wouldn't discount any cam switches it may be driving however. The possibilities are endless and diagnosis by remote control impossible, you could be bantering this about forever. The only solution is good old fashioned hands on detective work, process of elimination. Get out of the bathroom, that's NOT what I meant!

Just remember that many devices stay on when switched off so the way to be sure it's completely powered down is to pull the plug and wait at least a minute for a big electrolytic to discharge. That's by design so momentary power glitches don't upset the apple cart. That made me think, I have a VCR that keeps time for forever and a day, the internal clock must have one hell of a big cap in it.

"A conundrum, indeed, I shall ponder it further."
    A conundrum, indeed, I shall grok it further. There, all fixed. Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed, as part of the offending device you will gain knowledge as to how to fix it. Then if all else fails you can eat it.
    Why should we pay any attention to you , when you don't even use the quote function.

You're being contrary on purpose and I think it's assholish. Get a life.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Coconut King
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    So, I just moved my antenna (Due to moving my shack, don't ask), from the back of my house, to the side.

While, it's been a few months since I've had my HF rig on (Life being what it is), I just got it all going today.

And, DAMN. RFI.

It's a noise from 40 meters to 10 meters, at about 1 beat per second, and crosses the entire band. And, like S9 across the whole thing.

So far, I've ruled two rooms out in the house, but what should I be looking for as a source? I know generally certain items sound the same. If an audio clip helps, I can get that.
    I don't know If you have solved this yet but Is there any possibility of getting a better quality recording of the sound? Possibly something direct, bypassing the microphone at the highest sampling rate you do? I've been trying to get a better look at it for clues as to what It came from. I looks like it might a be a series of pulses followed a short period of low gain which is most likely from the AGC in the radio. I'm thinking maybe hash on the power lines from a switching supply, A funky CFL bulb, or if you are really unlucky some power companies have been playing with a form of BPL to talk to their Smart Power Meters.

Archie N8OBM

Its not just you bro here's my 30m qrss grabber 'filled with weak signals' and S9+ of vicious qrm
    qrm.jpg
    with all that shit covering everything up you may as well sell your radios
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 08-21-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8OBM View Post
    I don't know If you have solved this yet but Is there any possibility of getting a better quality recording of the sound? Possibly something direct, bypassing the microphone at the highest sampling rate you do? I've been trying to get a better look at it for clues as to what It came from. I looks like it might a be a series of pulses followed a short period of low gain which is most likely from the AGC in the radio. I'm thinking maybe hash on the power lines from a switching supply, A funky CFL bulb, or if you are really unlucky some power companies have been playing with a form of BPL to talk to their Smart Power Meters.

Archie N8OBM
    Haven't "solved" it yet. Going to pop by the neighbor's house again this week to ask if they tracked it down. I'll again offer my services to help find it, and if they refuse again, I suppose I'm left with filing an interference complaint, which has ground, because it also affects broadcast bands (AM broadcast).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com