Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng HT's How to figure which is newest release?

Baofeng HT's How to figure which is newest release?

Hey guys.

I have a question about how to see which BF HT is the newest one out there. I see about 2 dozen different version HT's all of which operate the same bands. Am wondering how to know which one is the latest release.

Primary reason is that I have seen discussions about the software and the quality of newer versions vs older ones. All of the discussions say the same thing in one important area. You can't upgrade the software on the radios. This means if I unknowingly purchase an older HT with older unstable or low quality software, I would be screwed. I dont want that to happen...lol. I have looked around but there is soo much info and "noise" about them that I cant find the info I need.

Anyone know how to figure which one is the newest release??

Thanks

'NKW

If you're referring to firmware, there have been no major changes to firmware since BFB297... 301-305 or 307 is simply BFB297 with a few bug fixes. Just make sure you get 297 or higher and not 251.

If you're talking about body styles, who knows. There are 5R's, 5RA's, 5RE's, 5RA+'s, 5RII's, and any number of others... all of which are the same radio with a few cosmetic differences.

I recommend either this vendor ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/BaoFeng-UV-5...item2a2f44cca9 ) or Three Old Crows General Store. Both of these vendors are excellent and have excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    There are 5R's, 5RA's, 5RE's, 5RA+'s, 5RII's, and any number of others... all of which are the same radio with a few cosmetic differences.
    Thats what im concerned about. How do I make certain I get the newest firmware. I have seen threads on other boards which buyers state they got a "Brand new radio" with the older firmware. Most listings I see of them for sale say nothing about which software/firmware is included.

lol also looking at the 3 old crows site... Take a look at the customer service page.... makes me kinda nervous when the page has this written on it...

Ordering
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi luctus. Duis lobortis. Nulla nec velit. Mauris pulvinar erat non massa. Suspendisse tortor turpis, porta nec, tempus vitae, iaculis semper, pede. Cras vel libero id lectus rhoncus porta. Suspendisse convallis felis ac enim. Vivamus tortor nisl, lobortis in, faucibus et, tempus at, dui. Nunc risus. Proin scelerisque augue. Nam ullamcorper. Phasellus id massa. Pellentesque nisl. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Nunc augue. Aenean sed justo non leo vehicula laoreet. Praesent ipsum libero, auctor ac, tempus nec, tempor nec, justo.
    Payment, Pricing & Promotions
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi luctus. Duis lobortis. Nulla nec velit. Mauris pulvinar erat non massa. Suspendisse tortor turpis, porta nec, tempus vitae, iaculis semper, pede. Cras vel libero id lectus rhoncus porta. Suspendisse convallis felis ac enim. Vivamus tortor nisl, lobortis in, faucibus et, tempus at, dui. Nunc risus. Proin scelerisque augue. Nam ullamcorper. Phasellus id massa. Pellentesque nisl. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Nunc augue. Aenean sed justo non leo vehicula laoreet. Praesent ipsum libero, auctor ac, tempus nec, tempor nec, justo.
    Viewing Orders
    Updating Account Information

You'd probably have to buy from a pretty shady vendor to get anything with old firmware.

Three Old Crows General store sells the newest stuff. They are a small vendor/importer in Fort Worth Texas. I purchased my programming cable from them and they are highly recommended with all things Baofeng. http://threeoldcrows.com/shop/magento/

Quote Originally Posted by N2NKW View Post
    lol also looking at the 3 old crows site... Take a look at the customer service page.... makes me kinda nervous when the page has this written on it...

That is programming lingo for the website they are using. I've had it come with a website template that I've used before. It basically means that its a premade template page that they haven't customized yet.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    sic semper tyrannus
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WU9G View Post
    sic semper tyrannus
    Attachment 10242

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    That is programming lingo for the website they are using. I've had it come with a website template that I've used before. It basically means that its a premade template page that they haven't customized yet.
    Lorem ipsum is not programming lingo, it's a typesetting thing. It's meaningless faux Latin that used to to fill in space on a design prototype to give a visualization of what a page is going to look like once the real text is put in place.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Lorem ipsum is not programming lingo, it's a typesetting thing. It's meaningless faux Latin that used to to fill in space on a design prototype to give a visualization of what a page is going to look like once the real text is put in place.

Yeah. That.