Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Coax do you recommend?

And now that I'm looking at it, there's enough coax left over that I could probably just rip it off the house and connect it to the j pole. On the inside is a standard SMA connector on the wall. Could I use that coax and get a jumper to go from the radio to the wall? Comcast installed all this a year ago, and we kept Comcast for two months before canceling their service.

i know it's not optimal, but can I use what's already there?
    Last edited by K9CCH; 07-23-2013 at 04:53 PM.

"i know it's not optimal..."
    What's not optimal about it? There is no industry standard, this is AMATEUR radio meaning if it works, use it, don't ask why or how, who cares?
    "...but can I use what's already there?"
    Bingo, we'll make a ham out of you yet.

OK, let's look at this logically, cheap is good and free is best, right? What you need is already there, free! Sat dish mount used for J-pole, coax used for J-pole, free so far and a couple of connector adapters, cheap. OK, so it's 75 ohms? That means only 1.5:1 SWR feeding a 50 ohm load but a J-pole can match to 75 ohms, the rig may not be 50 ohms exact so expect a fairly good match. Signal loss? The dish's block converter output is in the 800-900MHz region so they use a reasonably low loss coax to feed the receiver on the down side so frankly I wouldn't replace good coax that's already right where you want it.

Oh and BTW toss all that scribble scrabble above out and KISS, keep it simple stupid.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Sweet! I didn't even think about the existing coax until I walked outside to look at it today. I'm thinking that tomorrow may be the day I try a new antenna!!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    "i know it's not optimal..."
    What's not optimal about it? There is no industry standard, this is AMATEUR radio meaning if it works, use it, don't ask why or how, who cares?
    "...but can I use what's already there?"
    Bingo, we'll make a ham out of you yet.

OK, let's look at this logically, cheap is good and free is best, right? What you need is already there, free! Sat dish mount used for J-pole, coax used for J-pole, free so far and a couple of connector adapters, cheap. OK, so it's 75 ohms? That means only 1.5:1 SWR feeding a 50 ohm load but a J-pole can match to 75 ohms, the rig may not be 50 ohms exact so expect a fairly good match. Signal loss? The dish's block converter output is in the 800-900MHz region so they use a reasonably low loss coax to feed the receiver on the down side so frankly I wouldn't replace good coax that's already right where you want it.

Oh and BTW toss all that scribble scrabble above out and KISS, keep it simple stupid.
    I agree with the above. I would just check to see what kind of cable is there already, and see what max power on it is.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I agree with the above. I would just check to see what kind of cable is there already, and see what max power on it is.
    I agree with this. If it works, use it.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Well I'll be go to hell. FINALLY something we can all agree on. This has got to be an Island 1st.

Sounds like you have just about everything you need. Now, GET TO IT.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    I was going to order 50' of Belden 8262 but it looks like its being discontinued according to AES.

Which coax do you recommend?

I'm going to be installing it in about a 15'-20' length. Its going to go through the wall, and directly onto the roof where the Antenna will be mounted.

They have really good deals on LMR 600 around. That is a nice coax. LMR 400 would be second choice, but if you are vhf the 600 is better and a good price now.

The coax that is here is

AMPHENOL BBS TFC-T10 CHINA 4001538 6 SERIES (ETL) us CATV 18AWG

as per the writing on the cable.

For what you are doing hardline is best. I am a former BE. Hardline works best for VHF/UHF applications. The stuff is not cheap, and the connectors are from Hell. I was able to buy a spool of HD line for about $1.00/ft back in 1995. The losses are almost NONE!!!!. You will hear weak signals that no one else can, even with a zero gain 360 degree vertical aerial.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Oh, almost forgot one of the MOST important facts about CATV coax, aluminium shield so you can't solder to it. That's why installers use crimp connectors, usually an F and like RG6 quad shield and relayed lines ordinary F connectors don't fit. Still it's a cheap and dirty way to go, connectors, adapters and don't forget the stripper and crimp tool don't cost as much as"standard" cable and connectors for VHF/UHF work. Remember CATV cable has low loss up there because all signals are above 50MHz and up into the low GHz range. Unless you're running a kilowatt for EME you may as well clean off the couse while you're at it.

Yeah, hard line is best, etc., etc., which is why only well funded clubs and hams use it. If you own a TV station you can afford hard line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 07-24-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.